Almost all modern motorcycles come with mirrors. But there are cases where you either find the mirror too small or it doesn’t provide the kind of visibility you want due to its position. Some mirrors wear out pretty soon while others may be damaged with little impact. Whatever is the case, it is important to know the different types of mirrors available in the market since there is no one-size-fits-all. In this review, you will find the best aftermarket motorcycle mirrors.
The benefits of having motorcycle mirrors
- Better Vision: Mirrors are the most important and must-have accessories for your motorcycle. Whether it’s about glancing around the shoulders, or picking the blind spots, mirrors help in giving you a better vision for proper control and movement of your motorcycle ride.
- Avoids Risk & Accidents: Motorcycle ride is highly vulnerable to roadside hazards. Due to the open nature of riding you have to take extra precaution while maneuvering and changing the lanes across. A proper vision through mirrors around and behind your ride helps in avoiding the risks and accidents.
- Self-Protection: Without the mirrors, your ride will be more stressful and tiring. You have to constantly move your head and neck to check your rear and blind spots putting your life in danger. You can protect yourself and avoid such tedious and tiring physical activity by installing mirrors on your motorcycle.
- Avoid Hefty Fines & Penalties: In most countries, motorcycle mirrors are legally required to be installed. Western countries such as the US has strict regulations on motorcycle rear-view mirrors. Breaching the law will cost you hefty fines and penalties if you are part of the region where motorcycle mirrors are mandatory. It is in your best interest to follow the rules and avoid penalization and punishment.
5 Best aftermarket motorcycle mirrors
There are hundreds of options to choose from. We have selected the 5 best aftermarket motorcycle mirrors you can find anywhere. Hopefully, this will help you make an informed choice.
#1 MZS Motorcycle Mirrors
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
The MZS motorcycle mirrors are stylish, versatile, and easy to install. They are made of solid plastic and metal. These mirrors eliminate blind spots so the driver can have a clear view of vehicles coming behind. They come with very bright turn signals. The mirrors fit different motorcycles such as Suzuki, Kawasaki, BMW, KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, Moto, Guzzi, and ATV.
Some of the features include a smooth surface, great flexibility, perfect design, sturdiness, and ease of installation. They fit the handlebars perfectly and the stems are made of corrosion-resistant stainless steel. Each of the mirrors has a measurement of 157.75mm by 80.06mm and weighs just 1.59 pounds.
- Provides great visibility
- Rotates 360 degrees
- Made of strong plastic
- Hassle-free installation
- Easy to adjust
- The plastic housing scratches easily
- Comes with no instructions
#2 Kuryakyn 1759 Skeleton Hand Mirrors
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
If you are looking for something unique, we recommend the Kuryakyn 1759 skeleton hand mirrors. Apart from the amazing design, the mirrors are also sturdy with smooth adjustment. These handlebar mirrors have compatibility with Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, BMW, Triumph, Ducati, Harley-Davidson, Victory, and Indian.
The mirrors come with black mirror heads and chrome mirror stems for a clear view of vehicles coming behind you. They are easy to install and come with complete mounting hardware for a stress-free installation.
- Sturdy and durable
- Installation is a breeze
- No vibrations
- Quality construction and craftsmanship
- Comes with mounting hardware
- No instructions
- Paint may peel off.
#3 Mictuning Universal Motorcycle Mirrors
Product Rating: 4.1 / 5
These are bar-end mirrors suitable for different brands such as Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Moto, Guzzi, Kawasaki, and Harley-Davidson. The 3-inch mirrors come with a convex lens that guarantees a wider viewing angle for the rider. The installation is super easy since the mirrors are attached to a 360-degree flexible connection joint.
You can adjust the mirrors in any direction. Made from a CNC machined aluminum body, the mirrors are sturdy and durable. These mirrors are easy to install without any form of modifications.
- Completely adjustable
- Heavy-duty construction
- Built with a convex glass lens for clear vision
- Simple and easy installation
- Made for all weather conditions
- Loosens too often
- Prone to scratch
#4 Katur Handlebar End Mirrors
Product Rating: 4 / 5
The Katur handlebar end mirrors stand out from the crowd for their stylish design and anti-glare feature. These anti-glare mirrors provide you with the best rearview. They are stable after installation and don’t vibrate no matter the weather condition. The mirrors come with an adapter for quick and easy installation.
They are suitable for most motorcycles like Dirt Bike, Naked Bike, Chopper, ATV, Cruiser, Scooter, Sport Bike, Racing Bike, and Street Bike. It has no compatibility with the 2001 Ducati 750 Monster and Yamaha MT09. With a two-year warranty, there is no doubt that these mirrors come with peace of mind.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- No modification is needed for installation
- Designed in anti-glare finish
- Strong and durable mounts
- Stylish and sturdy design
- Small in size
#5 Mictuning Universal Hawk-Eye Motorcycle Mirrors
Product Rating: 4.2 / 5
The Mictuning universal hawk-eye motorcycle mirrors provide an excellent clear vision that guarantees you a safe drive all the time. With a 6.1-inch large convex glass lens, every car and obstacle behind you will be viewed with high visibility. The design helps to reduce wind drag.
When it comes to construction, the mirrors are heavy-duty since they are made from durable and high-impact ABS shells, a well-built 11.5mm steel stem, and authentic glass lenses. These mirrors have got great compatibility with most motorcycle brands such as ATV, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Street Bike, Victory, BMX bicycle, and Dirt Bike.
- Provide exceptional visibility
- Able to turn 360 degrees
- Ease of installation
- Heavy-duty build
- Attractive, hawk-eye design
- Not compatible with some brands
There are hundreds of motorcycle mirrors out there; this makes it difficult to choose one that best fits your motorcycle. Visibility is usually the most important consideration for many riders but there are other things to consider if you are looking for a good pair of motorcycle mirrors. Here are the other considerations:
- Build quality – The durability and sturdiness of any motorcycle mirror will depend on its quality construction. Some of the mirrors are constructed from ABS plastic and CNC billet aluminum. Aluminum is very durable and sturdy. It is capable of withstanding different weather situations. ABS plastic is also able to withstand harsh weather conditions but can get scratched easily.
- Type of glass – Motorcycle mirrors are made with different types of glass. It makes sense to choose the right glass to enhance visibility. Some of the mirrors are either made with convex or flat glass. Convex glass makes objects look closer than they are in reality while causing distortion to distance but provides a wider view. Flat glass accurately relays the distance of objects but presents objects in a narrow view. Apart from this, you have to be sure the mirrors come with an anti-glare feature. This helps to prevent glare while riding but may hamper visibility mostly at night.
- Size and shape – Motorcycle mirrors are constructed in different sizes. Some of them come in circles, teardrops, squares, and hawk-eyes. Choose one that provides excellent visibility but still gives your bike a great look. Handlebar mirrors are larger and are available in different options such as blades or skeletons. On the other hand, bar-end mirrors provide unparallel visibility but are mostly smaller in size.
- Adjustability – The adjustability of the mirrors is another worthy consideration. You don’t want a rigid mirror without any flexibility. Your mirror should be able to turn 360 degrees so you can position it to the angle that suits you best.
- Cost – Motorcycle mirrors cost differently. Look for one that fits your budget but has good visibility and made from quality materials.
How to install motorcycle mirrors
How to adjust your position and get the best view from motorcycle mirrors
You have your favorite mirrors installed on your motorcycle. Now what? Proper positioning and adjustment will give you the best motorcycling results. Here’s what you should do:
- Mirror Movement: Ensure the movement of mirrors is not too tight. This will give you the freedom of adjusting the mirrors according to your convenience while on the move.
- Comfortable Posture: Your sitting position should reflect with your mirror’s positioning. Make sure you don’t have to reflex your waist muscles too often to keep in line with the mirrors. Position them basis your comfort before you begin your ride.
- Striking View: Viewability is the main reason you have installed the mirrors. Once you are comfortably positioned with proper mirror movement your viewability should be clean and clear for striking movement.
- Mirror Coverage: The best view to obtaining from the motorcycle mirrors is at least 50% of the area behind and around you. This will ensure the movement, adjustment, and positioning is perfectly balanced and trustworthy giving you a stress-free ride.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How many mirrors are needed on a motorcycle?
Answer: Depending on the law, there are states like California that require just one mirror; in some states, mirrors are not compulsory. But for safety purposes, two mirrors are recommended.
2. What are the best mirrors for a motorcycle?
Answer: The answer to this question will depend on your motorcycle and individual preferences. But in an ideal setting, what you need are mirrors with outstanding visibility and functionality.
3. Is it safe to install bar-end mirrors?
Answer: Bar end mirrors are safe provided that they are large enough to perfectly view the objects coming behind you.
Conclusion: Get the best view with motorcycle mirrors
The consequences of not having motorcycle mirrors are better imagined than experienced. Some of the likely consequences include the risk of accident and running afoul of the law since in most states the use of mirrors is compulsory. As such, having motorcycle mirrors guarantee optimal safety and peace of mind.
Apart from safety, mirrors provide visibility and improve the look of your motorcycle.
All of the products reviewed in this article have been tested and trusted. They guarantee great functionality and durability. Investing in any of these reviewed products won’t be a bad idea since safety is of greater importance when riding on the road.