Motorcycle seats are something that is overused if you are a daily rider. With regular usage, the seats may lose their original quality, and become prone to early aging and wear & tear. There are also riders who don’t like the design, or style of factory seats and want to customize their motorcycle seats. Whatever the reason, these parts cannot be overlooked and sooner or later need an upgrade or a replacement. You may never know the importance of replacing your motorcycle seat until you start to ride a long-distance every day. To serve the above purposes, you will find the Best Aftermarket Motorcycle seats in this post that will help you replace the old seats.
Most factory seats don’t give you the kind of comfort that you desire. Replacing your factory seat with an aftermarket seat will improve your overall riding experience for good.
The benefits of having aftermarket motorcycle seats
- Customizable: There are other options to replace your motorcycle seats. You may choose to replace it with the original parts from the manufacturer or you can also have an option of choosing a modified and refreshed version of motorcycle seats from used parts. But both these options have a drawback in terms of price and quality. The original parts are very expensive and used parts lack quality. In between, the aftermarket motorcycle seats are comparatively less expensive than the factory-manufactured and used products as they are customized according to the user’s choice.
- Variety: Aftermarket motorcycle seats have lots of variety. Considering the fact that your two-wheeler is something you cherish, aftermarket motorcycle seat’s variety of products adds extraordinary appeal. As mentioned earlier, these parts are customized to match your bike’s design, color, and style giving you far more choices than the original factory products.
- Quality & Comfort: Since these products are modifiable, you can select good quality material aftermarket motorcycle seats. The manufacturers use materials like carbon fiber, leather, and aluminum making it flexible, comfortable, and provide longer durability. A part that is regularly used, having quality material is good news for bikers as it will save you lots of time and money against premature and repeated replacements.
- Cost-effective: Good quality and durability are something that keeps the expenses away. Getting the quality close to the original factory parts that can survive longer is cost-effective. You don’t have to worry about spending too much once you install aftermarket motorcycle seats.
5 Best Aftermarket Motorcycle Seats (2021)
With many options in the market, it can be very exhausting to make a choice. You don’t have to worry because we have done the hard job for you. Check our review of the 5 best aftermarket motorcycle seats so you can make a choice that fits your style and budget.
#1 Mustang Two-Piece Motorcycle Seat
Product Rating: 4.7 / 5
The Mustang Two-Piece Motorcycle Seat is designed to give you comfortable riding experiences at all times. It increases your comfort level anytime you are riding for long periods. This is actually a three-piece set which means there is one seat for the rider and another one for the passenger with a removable driver backrest.
With excellent lower lumbar support, the driver and passenger are bound to have a memorable ride. The seat is used for great functionality and performance. Made from top-quality vinyl, the seat cover is designed for durability and sturdiness in mind. It is super easy to install.
- Provides exceptional lower lumbar support
- Made in the USA
- Installation is a breeze
- Made with quality vinyl cover
- Wide passenger seat
- It is very expensive
#2 Saddlemen Dominator Solo Seat with Backrest
Product Rating: 4.3 / 5
If you are a rider that values comfort over minimalism, then, the Saddlemen Dominator Solo Seat is your best bet. This is a comfortable seat that maintains its custom look even if you seat in the saddle for long. The hybrid seat design provides unparalleled comfort for drivers and passengers.
The cover is made with rugged carbon-fiber weave and vinyl. The Saddlemen’s Gel Channel technology and strong foam add to the durability and sturdiness. The seat is specifically designed for Harley Davidson motorcycles.
- Enough legroom for the riders
- Very comfortable for the passenger
- Made strong and durable
- Offers great lower back support
- Made in the USA
- Fits mostly Harley Davidson’s bikes
#3 Mustang 75851 Two-Piece Wide Vintage Touring Seat
Product Rating: 4.3 / 5
If you are looking for the best motorcycle seat for a long-distance ride, the Mustang 75851 is well recommended. It is designed for the street, touring, and cruising bikes. The seat is deeply contoured so that a rider can go for miles without experiencing pain in the back. With the 19-inch design, the rider has got plenty of support, comfort, and space to face winding roads.
There is an attached passenger seat to give the person seated at the back some support and comfort too. The seat cover is made from durable vinyl material. To minimize vibrations, the seat comes with rubber bumpers.
- Easy to install
- Made from durable vinyl material
- Very comfortable and supportive
- Features rubber bumpers to minimize vibration
- Deeply contoured to reduce back pain
- It is not stylish
#4 Indian Motorcycle Extended Reach Rogue Seat
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
This is an all-weather motorcycle seat that offers extended safety and comfort. There is enough legroom for taller riders who love to stretch their legs for superior comfort. It comes with comfortable cushioning and great style to make your motorcycle look outstanding.
The seat has a raised back for a greater lower lumbar support. The passenger side of the seat is also well cushioned to give the passenger an exceptional riding experience. The cover is made with marine-grade vinyl for sturdiness and easy maintenance.
- All-black cover for a timeless look
- The seat cover is made from marine-grade vinyl
- Enough legroom for taller riders
- Durable and sturdy
- Easy to install and maintain
- A bit pricey
#5 HTTMT Driver Passenger Black Seat
Product Rating: 4 / 5
The HTTMT Driver Passenger Black Seat is an all-leather motorcycle seat that gives the rider both performance and looks. Designed with comfort in mind, the seat is well padded for increased support and comfort. The all-shine design makes it very appealing with a sleek look. It is perfect for anyone who wants a functional motorcycle seat.
Its ease of installation and simple design makes it perfect for almost any motorcycles. It also comes with a passenger seat that is very comfortable and supportive. The backside of the seat is well cushioned to help the passenger have a jolly ride.
- All-black and shiny leather cover
- Comfortable and supportive
- Well-cushioned passenger seat
- Ease to install
- Durable and well made
- No installation instructions
Purchasing motorcycle seats could be tricky since they come in different shapes and sizes. For you to make an informed choice, it is important to look closely at things that matter like materials, quality, and craftsmanship.
Based on that, let us look at the specific factors you have to look out for when purchasing a motorcycle seat.
- Seat foam – The seat foam is the most important component in a motorcycle seat but it is often the most overlooked. Don’t just pay attention to the shape of the seat, its overall quality, characteristics, and composition also matter. The foam must be soft enough to offer some great comfort while providing enough resilience to withstand the rigor of long-distance journeys. While the softness of a seat is linked to its comfort, this is not true of motorcycle seats. Again, foams that are too hard can be uncomfortable and become a pain in the back. Have a feel of the foam to strike a balance between “very soft for comfort” and “too hard for discomfort”.
- Seat cover – The seat cover is another thing you must pay close attention to. Most motorcycle seats are made from vinyl. The vinyl material is usually stretched on top of the foam pad before it is strapped. One great benefit of vinyl is that it is waterproof but the disadvantage is that it doesn’t cover the contours of the seat. Your seat cover should fit your seat like a hand in the glove. As such, look for a seat made with custom-fit covers. They are usually assembled carefully and put together by hand. You can also choose a seat cover made of leather though it is expensive.
- Backrest – The motorcycle seat backrest is usually ignored but it should provide the same comfort as the rider’s seat. Always choose a motorcycle seat with a backrest. It can support the back and butt perfectly. Ensure you purchase a complete motorcycle seat that comes with a backrest.
- Base plates – The baseplate is the foundation of a motorcycle seat. It is mounted on the motorcycle before the seat and covers come on. Ensure that the baseplate is powder-coated or made of marine-grade fiberglass. Avoid a baseplate made of plastic if you want a durable motorcycle seat.
- Ease of installation and use – The motorcycle seat should be easy to install and use. Make sure that the motorcycle seat you want to purchase has fitment for your brand of motorcycle.
How to install motorcycle seats?
Installation may vary with the brand and type of your motorcycle. Make sure to follow the documented guidelines or a video on how to install your choice of the motorcycle seat.
How to clean and maintain the motorcycle seats?
Cleaning your motorcycle seats is very important. It keeps the seat material soft, supple, and shiny maintaining its durability. The cleaning process is very simple. Follow the below steps:
- Drop some leather conditioner/seat cleaner liquid on a sponge. The quantity should be as per the directions mentioned on the bottle.
- Circulate the sponge on your motorcycle seats smoothly. Apply gentle pressure while circulating.
- Clean-off the excess liquid from the seats with a dry cloth/towel and let the seats dry out.
Note: Make sure to use specialized seat leather conditioners/cleaners for best results and protection.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How much does a motorcycle seat cost?
Answer: Generally, motorcycle seats are expensive. They cost between $200 and $500.
2. What cover seat material should I choose?
Answer: Choose one made of vinyl or leather.
3. Which is better? Gel or Memory Foam seats?
Answer: If you are a frequent rider and ride longer distances then memory foam is better as it absorbs pressure and provides more support. A gel is better at relieving some pressure and rear vibration and works well if integrated into the seat.
Conclusion: Aftermarket motorcycle seats provide quality and durability
The best motorcycle seat is the one that meets your needs. As such, go for a seat that is made tough, strong, comfortable, and supportive.
Though motorcycle seats are expensive, not upgrading them could have some health implications in the long run. You could go down with back pain and a hurtful butt. To avoid these discomforts, you need to purchase an aftermarket motorcycle seat to give you and your passenger great comfort and support.
Thoroughly go through the product reviews to make a perfect choice that fits your motorcycle model.