Have you ever noticed that your car can get a little smelly? You might notice the smell when you first enter. The reason for this is because of all the chemicals in the air from pollution, cigarette smoke, and other sources. The smell can be eliminated with an air freshener or by rolling down windows. A car air freshener is an item that is used to add pleasant scents to the interior of a car. They come in different shapes and sizes and are often made of plastic, wood, or metal. Car air fresheners have many benefits including keeping the inside of your car smelling fresh for longer while also providing a decorative touch. In this review, we will tell you about the best air fresheners for cars, their pros and cons, and how to choose the correct air freshener for your car.
The benefits of using car air fresheners
- Keeps you relaxed: Car air fresheners can help you feel more relaxed in your car, this helps reduce stress and is a great way to relax with the scent of your favorite flower or fruit. Just by looking at this picture of a flower, you can probably feel more relaxed.
- Avoid Allergies: A recent study from the German Society of Allergy and Asthma showed that 20% of people with allergies have symptoms caused by odors. Having an air freshener can help lessen the triggers for those who suffer from these types of allergies. If you have allergies, there are even some with an anti-allergy formula that will help keep them at bay!
- Refreshes the car cabin: They can also make your car smell better, which will make it easier to sell in the future. Not everyone enjoys the smell of stale air or cigarette smoke and for that very reason, many people like to use car air fresheners as a solution. Air fresheners are a great way to get rid of bad odors from pets or smoking.
- Affordable & Variety of choices: A car air fresher is an easy way to cover up the smell in your car without spending a lot of money. A wide variety of scents are available, from fruity and sweet to earthy or woodsy options that will suit any taste! The best part is they’re affordable so everyone can enjoy their benefits!
5 Best Air Fresheners for Cars (2021)
The car air freshener category has many products to choose from. It becomes difficult to select the right choice of air freshener for your car. This is where our research comes in handy. Find the 5 best car air fresheners in the below list.
#1 Frebreze Car Air Freshener
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
Febreze Car Air Freshener is a simple solution to keep your car smelling like new. The Febreze Car Air Freshener attaches easily to the air vent and releases a fresh scent for up to 30 days.
This air freshener has Odor Clear Technology that leans away odors with every spray, so you can enjoy your favorite fragrance without any lingering smells. It also offers an adjustable level of intensity so you can control how much freshness is released for a customized experience.
- Easy installation
- Easy to use
- Eliminates odor
- Refreshes car cabin
- Works only for 30 days
#2 Moso Natural Air Purifier Bag
Product Rating: 4.3 / 5
Moso Natural Air Purifier Bag is a natural and effective air purifier that absorbs odors, harmful pollutants, and moisture. It lasts up to 2 years, making it the most cost-effective air purifier on the market. The Moso Bag is made from all-natural material that is free of chemicals, fragrances, and toxins.
There are no side effects from using the bag because it does not emit any harmful substances into your vehicle environment. Moso bags can be hanged or placed in any small space. Made of Moso bamboo charcoal, these powerful ingredients keep your home, and auto fresh and odor-free.
- Made from natural ingredients
- No artificial fragrance and chemicals
- Long-lasting and easy to use
- No side effects or allergies
- Easy to place or install
- Lacks refreshing fragrance or scent
#3 Meguiars G16402 Car Air Re-fresher
Product Rating: 4.4 / 5
Meguiar’s Whole Car Air Refresher is the fast and easy way to eliminate unwanted odors. This specially formulated spray eliminates smoke, food, pet, and mildew odors from your vehicle’s interior. Simply mist it into the air and let it evaporate for a pleasant new car scent that lasts for weeks.
Meguiar’s Whole Car Air Refresher is safe on all surfaces including leather, plastic, rubber, and vinyl. It can be used in any vehicle, and it will penetrate the complete interior. The ingredients are found naturally in nature and are biodegradable and non-toxic.
- Advanced refreshing technology
- Easy and simple to use
- Powerfully eliminates the odor
- Works on multiple surfaces and environment
- Decent durability
- The vehicle should be empty to use the product
#4 Yankee Candle Car Jar Air Freshener
Product Rating: 4.2 / 5
Yankee Candle Car Jar Ultimate Hanging Air Freshener is a long-lasting, refillable air freshener that features 4 vent sticks and an easy-to-use clip. The car jar hangs easily from the rearview mirror or other location. Just clip it on and let the scent take over!
The car jar features a smart scent vent clip, so you can adjust for your desired fragrance level. There’s no need to remove the lid to change fragrances; simply twist off the cap and replace it with another Yankee air freshener. This air freshener will hang easily in the car, home, or any space and lasts up to 4 weeks.
- Lasting fragrance
- Easy to use and install
- Smart scent vent clips
- Easy to refill
- Odor neutralizing replacement indicator
- Dull fragrance
#5 Little Trees Car Air Freshener
Product Rating: 4 / 5
Little Trees air fresheners are a simple, affordable way to make your car smell great. The classic hanging tree is easy to install and lasts up to 60 days. The adjustable lid allows you to regulate fragrance intensity.
Little Trees air fresheners are made from 50% recycled hanging Tree fiber and come in a variety of long-lasting, high-quality fragrances that will keep your car smelling fresh for months.
- Long-lasting durability
- Comes with an adjustable lid
- High-quality fragrances
- Made from tree fiber
- Multi-purpose use
- The fragrance is too light
The first thing you want to ask yourself when you’re trying to find out which kind of car air freshener you want is what type of scent do you prefer? Remember that not all scents are going to be pleasing so if possible try smelling the air fresheners at a store before making your purchase.
Choosing the right type of air freshener for your car is important. There are many types to choose from, so you need to think about what you want it to do and how long you want it last before changing.
- Type: The two most common types of air fresheners are aerosol and solid. Aerosols can be sprayed into the air and will typically last for a few days or weeks depending on how often they’re used. Solid scents come in small packages that need to be placed near your vent system in order to work properly – these will typically last for much longer than an aerosol option (upwards of 6 months).
- Durability: There are different types of car air fresheners with variable life spans. Some will last for a few weeks, while others can last as long as six months or more. Look out for a replacement as soon as you notice a change in the scent or if it stops working.
- Ease of use: Air fresheners should be easy to install and operate, so long as you know what type would work best for your vehicle. The ease of use also depends on the type of air freshener you choose that should align with your car’s interior space such as AC vents, consoles, etc.
- Fragrance: Air fresheners are designed to make your car not only look nice but also smell good. There is a wide range of fragrances available that would fit any occasion. Choose the fragrance that smells good to you and your companions. Flower, fruit, or cologne are some of the universal fragrances examples.
- Cost: Air fresheners are affordable. Expect to spend anywhere from $25-$40 on an air freshener, with more expensive options coming in at up to $60 or so. Prices vary depending on the type and size you choose.
- Non-allergic: Some air freshener fragrances are allergic to those who are sensitive to them. This is why it’s important that you choose one with a fragrance that does not trigger any allergies or reactions in people around you, especially if they spend the most time in your car.
Types of car air fresheners
- Spray: Spray car air fresheners are best for removing odors in small spaces. They typically act as a cover-up, masking existing odors with their scent; but don’t offer any type of long-term solution to the problem.
- Gel: Gel air fresheners are best for people that have a persistent odor issue, or just need something stronger than spray options. You can just stick the gel onto a surface inside your car, and it will continuously release its scent.
- Plug-in: Plug-in air fresheners typically require the most amount of effort when considering how to use them. You can purchase an electric plug that plugs into your cigarette lighter or you can hook up a small device that goes under your seat; both allow for the continual release of fragrance.
- Diffusers: Diffuser air fresheners for cars can also be found in various formats including vent sticks, and clip-on devices. These items circulate the scent inside your cabin, through the car’s AC vents.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How to install an air freshener in your car?
Answer: The installation may depend on the type of car air freshener you have. The most common place to install the air fresheners is AC vents, Center console, and dashboard.
- How do you clean an air freshener for cars?
Answer: You can use dish soap and water to wash off the dirt that might have collected on the air freshener.
- Are car air fresheners bad for you?
Answer: Car air fresheners, especially those containing a chemical called benzene, are linked to health problems. Benzene is a known carcinogen and can cause kidney damage among other things. These chemicals are often found in many common types of air fresheners including scented candles, room sprays, and even plug-in models. The best way to avoid these issues is to use natural methods such as baking soda or vanilla extract for your car’s scent needs.
Conclusion: Keep your vehicle cabin refreshing with air fresheners
Car air fresheners can help to eliminate unpleasant odors in your vehicle and provide you with a fresh-smelling atmosphere. The best car air fresheners will have an attractive scent that is long-lasting and will keep you away from allergies. There are many different types of car air fresheners available on the market, so be sure to do some research before buying one!
Check out our list of the 5 best air freshens for cars for ideas about what type might work best for your needs. These are thoroughly researched, tested, and found to be suitable for most of the car owners.