Truck headache racks are a necessity if you want to prevent an impending calamity. Your rear window can get smashed by thieves or cargo can fall on it and get it shattered. One way to prevent this kind of issue is to mount a truck headache rack. Apart from providing safety for the driver and passenger seated at the cab, it also provides for extra light attachment, prevents break-ins by criminal elements, used in hauling ladders and long loads like woods, mounting of toolbox without drilling, and provides extra shade. In this review, let us find the best headache racks for trucks.
The benefits of having truck headache racks
- Driver safety: One of the advantages of installing a headache rack is to protect yourself as a driver. No matter how safe you drive but you cannot control the other vehicles and bad roads that cause the movement of cargo and may damage your truck’s rear glass injuring you badly.
- Co-passenger protection: The cargo movement or shuffling could be in any direction and can also impact the fate of your co-passenger. Truck headache racks are also helpful in saving others from the impact of severe injuries caused by the crashing of cargo inside the driver’s cabin.
- Rear window protection: The best part of headache racks are they avoid the mishap of heavy material or objects with your truck’s rear glass window. The steel material racks are strong enough to afford the pressure of cargo movement and save lots of costs you may have to otherwise spend on buying a new rear glass window.
- Avoid accidents: Any excessive movement or crashing noise inside the vehicle can distract your driving badly. Having headache racks installed gives you complete peace-of-mind and relief from the distraction of luggage movement avoiding any unwarranted life-threatening situation.
Best Headache Racks for Trucks in 2021
With plenty of headache truck racks in the market, how do you make the right choice? That’s the question you must be asking yourself right now. You don’t have to fret. This is what we are about to settle in this article. Read our review of the 5 best headache racks for trucks along with a buyer’s guide so you can make a final choice that is durable and sturdy.
#1 ARIES 1110114 Switchback Headache Rack Cab Protector
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
If you are looking for a sophisticated headache rack, the Aries Switchback Headache Rack is your best choice. The rack is powder-coated and made from aluminum construction with stake pocket mounting. It is rust and corrosion-free and LED light-compatible.
There are slotted top edges made for different LED lights. To improve visibility, it comes with a center section that can be easily removed for quick and easy access to the rear window. This headache rack is highly adjustable and versatile. It has a sleek design coupled with a professional look.
- Allows for the mounting of LED lights
- Rust and corrosion-resistant
- Powder-coated for long-lasting shine
- Quick and easy installation
- Versatile and adjustable
- It is expensive
#2 Backrack 10500 Safety Headache Rack
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
The Backrack Safety Rack is constructed to provide unparallel window protection for your van or truck. This rack is designed with durability and sturdiness in mind. Its design includes metal mesh that is strong and helps to reduce rattling wind. This headache rack is lightweight and easy to install without drilling.
The black finish resists rust to improve the overall appearance of your truck. When it comes to sturdiness and toughness, the headache rack is made from steel construction. Lights can be installed on it with ease. This headache rack has a wider carrying capacity than the other models.
- Fitted with metal mesh to reduce wind noise
- Easy and quick installation
- Durable and sturdy
- Provides full window protection
- The black finish reduces rust and corrosion
- Comes with no hardware; sold separately
#3 MaxxHaul 70234 Adjustable Headache Rack
Product Rating: 4.2 / 5
There is no doubt the MaxxHaul 70234 is one of the best headache racks you can find in the market because of its heavy-duty construction. The headache rack is made from industrial-grade steel for durability and sturdiness. It is designed with exceptional visibility.
So, there are no obstructions with this headache rack. The accessory makes a great fit for most pick-up trucks. There is no need for drilling thereby making installation pretty easy. It provides solid protection for the back screen.
- No-drill; easy installation
- Provides excellent protection
- Made from heavy-duty construction
- Powder-coated to prevent rust and corrosion
- Durable and sturdy
- A bit difficult to install
#4 Backrack 14300 Truck Bed Headache Rack
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
This headache rack is designed for easy mounting on available stake pockets on the truck. The cab guard protector is made from reinforced steel to provide enough rigidity and strength. Finished in a black coating, the headache rack can resist chipping, rust, corrosion, and scratches.
It has a welded criss-cross center grid to provide exceptional protection. After installation, a toolbox can be mounted on top of the headache rack without any issues. It also supports the mounting of rear lights. This headache rack fits most toolboxes.
- Black powder coat prevents corrosion and scratches
- Made from steel for sturdiness and durability
- No-drill installation
- Provides full protection with welded criss-cross
- Lights can be mounted
- Mounting hardware is sold separately
#5 Dee Zee DZ95050RB Black Mesh Cab Rack
Product Rating: 4.4 / 5
Protect your rear window adequately with the Dee Zee Cab Rack. Made from 100% aluminum construction, the headache rack provides non-rusting strength to protect your rear window. It comes with an integrated channel system for extra protection. Installation is super easy. Just bolt it into the vehicle’s stack pockets and you are good to go.
To prevent oxidation, the headache rack is made with a glossy black finish. The heavy-duty mesh is strong enough to prevent window damage that could be caused by falling cargo. It also provides excellent visibility when driving. This headache rack comes with two sets of removable tie-down mounts for quick installation.
- Hassle-free installation
- Glossy black finish to prevent oxidation
- Rugged aluminum construction
- Provides clear visibility
- Resistant to rust
- Not suitable for some trucks
There are a lot of plausible reasons to purchase the best truck headache racks online. Convenience and ease are some of the reasons. You can easily compare and contrast different brands compared to when you are buying from a physical store. There are some factors that you must consider before clicking “Buy Now”. Below is what you need to consider.
- Be very conversant with the brands – Headache racks come in different quality. This is why it is important to be knowledgeable about these brands before you make a purchase. Some of the ways you have to understand the brands are by reading reviews of people who have bought the products online.
- Material — What is the headache rack made of? Knowing this will determine the sturdiness and durability of the product. Look for a headache rack made from reinforced steel for strength and toughness.
- Coating – To make the appearance of the headache attractive for a longer time, the product must be powder coated. It makes sense to choose one with a black coating. The coating helps to prevent corrosion, rust, chipping, and scratches.
- Avoid used headache racks – Headache racks are safety equipment. They need to be replaced whenever they are wearing out or damaged. Dented or refurbished headache racks are no longer durable and must be avoided at all costs.
- Lights – If you need extra lights, the headache rack affords you the opportunity of installing more lights. This helps to improve the overall appearance of the truck apart from providing increased visibility.
- Cost – Always calculate the total cost of the headache rack before you purchase it. Some of the racks don’t come with hardware. You have to buy hardware separately. This adds up to the total cost of the racks including the shipping cost. It is the total cost that will tell you if the product is expensive or affordable.
How to install a truck headache rack
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. What are headache racks?
Answer: Headache racks are vertical racks that can be attached to the rear window of a truck using different mounting methods. The purpose is to protect the rear window, cab driver, and the passengers from injuries that may likely occur due to smashed rear windows without headache racks.
2. What features are important in a headache rack?
Some of the important features are:
• Mesh design model
• Toolbox mounting space
• Adequate height
• Powder coating for the prevention of rust and corrosion
• Durability and sturdiness
3. What benefits do headache racks offer?
Answer: Some of the benefits include:
• Excellent visibility
• Protection for the driver and passengers
• Protection against rear window shattering or breakage
• Prevention of break-ins by thieves and hoodlums
Conclusion: Reduce your physical headache by installing headache racks
Don’t go by the name, headache racks actually serve the purpose of a pill to reduce your cargo and driving headache. They are made of strong and sturdy material that protects your trucks rear window, save your and other passengers life and also helps in saving cost on window and truck bed repairs.
One of the biggest conveniences you get with headache racks is the easy installation and removal making it the most versatile and multi-purpose accessory.