Owning a motorcycle can be fun and adventurous. It offers you unfettered freedom and enables riders to make multiple trips. As a rider, you may need to store some items such as tools, equipment, food, clothes, and camping gear. This is where you come to the grim reality that motorcycles are not like cars that come with a lot of storage space. What do you do in this case? The solution is to have a motorcycle bag. In this post, we will tell you about the best motorcycle bags.
With the right bag, you can pack your gear conveniently.
The benefits of having motorcycle bags
- Carry Your Luggage: Motorcycles are not designed to carry extra luggage. Some of the riders install tail brackets to carry the luggage which is inefficient. If you prefer riding a motorcycle daily to your work, then you must have felt the need to carry some of your work-related items. A motorcycle bag can fulfill your wish. You can use a tank or a tail bag that can easily store general items such as files, documents, or a tiffin. These small bags are compact that don’t distract your ride and occupy very little space.
- Long Distance Traveling: You can plan an adventurous or long-distance motorcycle ride with the help of motorcycle bags. The saddlebags are big enough to carry your traveling luggage such as clothes, food, beverages, and other necessary traveling stuff for two persons. You can enjoy your long weekend on a motorcycle with all the required baggage and peace-of-mind.
- Luggage Safety: Most motorcycle bags come with a locking option. The locking mechanism is helpful in keeping your luggage secure and safe. You can leave your baggage unattended if your motorcycle bag is equipped with a lock. This is another advantage of motorcycle bags that keep your mind free during work or an adventure.
- Ease-of-riding: Carrying an extra handbag or a shoulder bag to store your luggage is a constant distraction while riding. The maneuvering, taking turns, and stopping your bike gets very difficult in such a situation. The balancing of your ride with these bags is always on the back of your mind which could be risky. This is why you should install motorcycle bags to make your drive easy and peaceful.
- Weather-resistant: You can stop worrying about the hard weather conditions to carry the luggage on a motorcycle. Some of the motorcycle bags are weather-resistant and water-proof to protect your luggage in all seasons. The ruggedness capability of these bags allows you to continue your motorcycle journey with extra luggage in tough weather conditions.
5 Best Motorcycle Bags (2021)
Choosing the right bag can be a difficult task with many inferior products out there. After thorough research, we have come up with some of the best motorcycle bags for your informed choice. Here are our picks.
#1 Kriega US-30 Drypack KUSB30
Product Rating: 4.9 / 5
The Kriega US-30 Drypack is a 30-liter capacity bag that is 100% waterproof. Its unique design makes it easy to be mounted solidly under the seat or straight on the bike’s sub-frame. It comes with removable shoulder and waist straps so it can be easily carried on and off the bike.
This motorcycle bag is designed to fit almost any motorcycle. It has a 4x quick-release buckle for easy attachment and removal. The white liner is easily removable for washing.
- 100% waterproof body
- YKK water-resistant zip
- Shoulder and waist straps
- 30-liter capacity
- 10 years warranty
- Not compatible with a motorcycle without visible sub-frame
#2 Nelson-Rigg RG-020 Black Dual Sport Motorcycle Saddlebag
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
The Nelson-Rigg RG-020 Saddlebags are a universal fit for dirt bikes and adventure motorcycles. These bags are extremely durable and each side has 15 liters storage capacity. The bags are UV-treated. Constructed from water-resistant 1680D Tri-Max Ballistic Nylon, you are sure of the durability.
The unique pouch under the main compartment prevents the tire irons from affecting the bags when the motorcycle is bouncing. The bag does not sag under heavy load. They come with reverse coil zippers to keep dirt and dust out of the way.
- Durable and sturdy
- Ease of installation
- No sagging
- Heavy-duty straps for secure mounts
- Easy to use
- The tool bag pouch is not waterproof
#3 Saddlemen 3501-0322 Dresser Back Seat Bag
Product Rating: 4.4 / 5
If you are looking for a motorcycle bag that specifically fits your Harley’s Dresser Tour pack or any Dresser model, the Saddlemen Dresser Back Seat Bag is your best bet. It comes with large, easy-to-access pockets to make your items handy.
It is constructed from Ultra Violent, water, and weather-resistant 1200-denier SaddleTuff and leather-like SaddleHyde panels for durability and sturdiness. There are backpack straps and accessory straps for extra storage. This is a very rigid bag. You can lean against it while riding.
- Easy handle and backpack straps
- Sturdy construction
- The top opens fully for ease of packing
- Fits between the rider and tour box on the back seat
- Large and roomy
- Not waterproof
#4 Bitwell Inc. OD Green EXFIL-80 Bag
Product Rating: 4.3 / 5
This robust motorcycle bag is built to hold all your gear adequately. With a lot of functionality, the large external tool compartment is well padded so you can comfortably lean back on it. This section can easily be unzipped so you can access any of your tools.
You can pick smaller items without the need to open the bag. The bag is durable and sturdy. It is UV-treated and water-resistant. If you want it 100% waterproof, just pull out the attached waterproof sleeve under the tool compartment and cover the entire bag.
- Plenty of tool compartments
- Shoulder strap
- Velcro-mounted with removable tool pouch
- SBS zipper
- Too heavy as a backpack
#5 Givi3D603 Tanklock Range Quick Release Tank Bag
Product Rating: 4.2 / 5
If you are looking for a versatile bag for traveling or touring, the Givi 3D603 Tank Bag is highly recommended for you. The bag is easy to lock and unlock. It is not magnetic and does not come with a strap down. With the internal pocket, you have no problems about where to keep your phones and other smaller items.
This motorcycle bag is waterproof and made with waterproof zips. The Givi Tank Bag does not obstruct making it comfortable and easy to use.
- Lightweight and durable
- Elegantly designed
- Shoulder strap
- 4 liters holding capacity
- Mounting gear is sold separately
Purchasing a motorcycle bag is not as easy as picking a book of the shelf. There are things you must consider before buying a bag. This is a guide to help you make a good choice.
- Materials and durability – Motorcycle bags are made with different materials. While some materials are durable, others are not. Some of the known materials are plastic, PVC, nylon, leather, and synthetic leather. Motorcycle bags made of leather are always stylish but do not stand the test of time like synthetic leather. Plastic bags crack after some time. We recommend a bag made of quality nylon because of its durability.
- Size – The main reason for having a motorcycle bag is to adequately contain your essential items such as work tools, phones, food, clothes, riding gear, bottled water, keys, and more. It is the size of the motorcycle that determines the size of the bag. Larger bikes will accommodate bigger bags while smaller bags fit sportbikes with oversized exhaust. The point is that you have to choose the right bag based on the size of your bike.
- Lockable – Always choose a lockable bag because of theft. It secures your gear and equipment properly. Lockable bags are a worthy investment if you value the security of your valuable items. They are the right choice in case you park your motorcycle unattended at any time.
- Waterproof – If you don’t want to feel sorry for yourself, it makes sense to invest in a waterproof bag. The rain may start without notice and if your bag is waterproof, then, you have nothing to worry about. If you cannot afford a waterproof bag, choose a bag that comes with rain covers.
- Quick-release – If your bag is not lockable, ensure that it has a quick-release bracket system. This helps you to quickly remove the bag from the bike with ease.
How to use motorcycle bags? Tips & Tricks
- Some motorcycle riders tend to hang their bags on the handle bars under the headlight. This method will block the air causing engine suffocation. It can keep your bike hotter than usual. You should avoid this method to maintain your bike in good condition.
- The best location to place the motorcycle bags is on either side of the back seat with proper installation. Saddlebags should be a preference if you are carrying heavy luggage. This type of bags help in maintaining the balance of your ride.
- Always keep the load in check before you start the motorcycle journey. Overloading or incorrect placement of bags may impact the balance and maintenance of your ride. In the long run, this could be risky and dangerous.
- If you are riding with co-passenger and luggage, ensure to monitor the tire pressure. Always refer to the guidelines provided with your motorcycle brand and follow the instructions to keep yourself and others safe.
- External straps should be used with motorcycle bags for extra security. This is helpful in preventing the sliding or falling of luggage in the event of sudden breaks or jerks. Use of straps makes more sense for a long-distance journey.
What are the types of motorcycle bags?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What is the difference between the different types of bags?
Answer: Whether you are buying a tail bag, tank bag, saddle bag, hard bag, or backpack, everything comes down to capacity and the individual needs of the rider. Tank bags are smaller while saddlebags hold more items because they are two-sided.
- Can motorcycle bags protect my stuff?
Answer: Yes, they do. They are constructed with top-quality fabrics that resist wear and tear and absorb impacts.
- Why are motorcycle bags expensive?
Answer: They are expensive because of the quality materials used in making them but you can always find a bag that is within budget.
- How do you install the motorcycle bags?
Answer: The installation may vary with the type of motorcycle bag you want to use. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer’s installation guide for proper fitting and hold.
Conclusion: Enhance the capacity of your bike with motorcycle bags
Frequently riding a motorcycle with extra bags on your back or shoulders can be risky. It may disturb your ride and cause physical pain to your body.
A motorcycle bag is a must-have item especially for bikers that travel long distances. They are specialized bags for carrying your gear, food, clothes, equipment, and other stuff.
Apart from being the carriers, the durability and sturdiness of these motorcycle bags act as an additional advantage of using them for external purposes. Our review of the 5 best motorcycle bags will help you to make a good choice. Whatever choice you make will be durable and long-lasting.