Owning a motorcycle can be fun and adventurous. It offers you unfettered freedom and enables riders to make multiple trips. As a rider, you may need to store some items such as tools, equipment, food, clothes, and camping gear. This is where you come to the grim reality that motorcycles are not like cars that come with a lot of storage space.
What do you do in this case? The solution is to have a motorcycle bag. With the right bag, you can pack your gear conveniently.
The Benefits Of Using Motorcycle Bags
- Luggage: Having a motorcycle bag enables you to carry extra luggage. Apart from the general items such as files, documents, or a tiffin the additional space allows you to insert some other necessary requirements.
- Long-distance traveling: The saddlebags are big enough to carry your traveling luggage such as clothes, food, beverages, and other tools that are required during long-distance traveling which can be planned on a motorcycle.
- Safety: Most of these bags come with locking options that can be left behind on a motorcycle without worrying about being stolen or lost.
- Ease-of-riding: These bags reduces your mental burden while riding the motorcycle which otherwise is a constant distraction that may be harmful and fatal.
- Weather-resistant: Some of the bags come with water-proof capability and ruggedness that can be carried through in tough weather conditions.
Best Motorcycle Bags in 2020
Choosing the right bag can be difficult with many inferior products out there. After thorough research, we have come up with some of the best motorcycle bags for your informed choice. Here are our picks.
BEST (AutoSupplements Choice)
#1 Kriega US-30 Drypack KUSB30
Product Rating: 4.8 / 5
The Kriega US-30 Drypack is a 30-liter capacity bag that is 100% waterproof. Its unique design makes it easy to be mounted solidly under the seat or straight on the bike’s sub-frame. It comes with removable shoulder and waist straps so it can be easily carried on and off the bike.
This motorcycle bag is designed to fit almost any motorcycle. It has a 4x quick-release buckle for easy attachment and removal. The white liner is easily removable for washing.
100% waterproof body
YKK water-resistant zip
Shoulder and waist straps
10 years warranty
Not compatible with a motorcycle without visible sub-frame
BETTER (AutoSupplements Recommend)
#2 Nelson-Rigg RG-020 Black Dual Sport Motorcycle Saddlebag
Product Rating: 4.4 / 5
The Nelson-Rigg RG-020 Saddlebags are a universal fit for dirt bikes and adventure motorcycles. These bags are extremely durable and each side has 15 liters storage capacity. The bags are UV-treated. Constructed from water-resistant 1680D Tri-Max Ballistic Nylon, you are sure of the durability.
The unique pouch under the main compartment prevents the tire irons from affecting the bags when the motorcycle is bouncing. The bag does not sag under heavy load. They come with reverse coil zippers to keep dirt and dust out of the way.
Durable and sturdy
Heavy-duty straps for secure mounts
The tool bag pouch is not waterproof
#3 Saddlemen 3501-0322 Dresser Back Seat Bag
Product Rating: 4.3 / 5
If you are looking for a motorcycle bag that specifically fits your Harley’s Dresser Tour pack or any Dresser model, the Saddlemen Dresser Back Seat Bag is your best bet. It comes with large, easy-to-access pockets to make your items handy.
It is constructed from Ultra Violent, water, and weather-resistant 1200-denier SaddleTuff and leather-like SaddleHyde panels for durability and sturdiness. There are backpack straps and accessory straps for extra storage. This is a very rigid bag. You can lean against it while riding.
Easy handle and backpack straps
The top opens fully for ease of packing
Fits between the rider and tour box on the back seat
Large and roomy
#4 Bitwell Inc. OD Green EXFIL-80 Bag
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
This robust motorcycle bag is built to hold all your gear adequately. With a lot of functionality, the large external tool compartment is well padded so you can comfortably lean back on it. This section can easily be unzipped so you can access any of your tools. You can pick smaller items without the need to open the bag.
The bag is durable and sturdy. It is UV-treated and water-resistant. If you want it 100% waterproof, just pull out the attached waterproof sleeve under the tool compartment and cover the entire bag.
Plenty of tool compartments
Velcro-mounted with a removable tool pouch
Too heavy as a backpack
#5 Givi3D603 Tanklock Range Quick Release Tank Bag
Product Rating: 4.1 / 5
If you are looking for a versatile bag for traveling or touring, the Givi 3D603 Tank Bag is highly recommended for you. The bag is easy to lock and unlock. It is not magnetic and does not come with a strap down. With the internal pocket, you have no problems with where to keep your phones and other smaller items.
This motorcycle bag is waterproof and made with waterproof zips. The Givi Tank Bag does not obstruct making it comfortable and easy to use.
Lightweight and durable
4-litres holding capacity
Mounting gear is sold separately
Purchasing a motorcycle bag is not as easy as picking a book of the shelf. There are things you must consider before buying a bag. This is a guide to help you make a good choice.
Features to look for while choosing the best motorcycle bags
- Materials and durability – Motorcycle bags are made with different materials. While some materials are durable, others are not. Some of the known materials are plastic, PVC, nylon, leather, and synthetic leather. Motorcycle bags made of leather are always stylish but do not stand the test of time like synthetic leather. Plastic bags crack after some time. We recommend a bag made of quality nylon because of its durability.
- Size – The main reason for having a motorcycle bag is to adequately contain your important items such as work tools, phones, food, clothes, riding gear, bottled water, keys, and more. It is the size of the motorcycle that determines the size of the bag. Larger bikes will accommodate bigger bags while smaller bags fit sportbikes with the oversized exhaust. The point is that you have to choose the right bag based on the size of your bike.
- Lockable – Always choose a lockable bag because of theft. It secures your gear and equipment properly. Lockable bags are a worthy investment if you value the security of your valuable items. They are the right choice in case you park your motorcycle unattended at any time.
- Waterproof – If you don’t want to feel sorry for yourself, it makes sense to invest in a waterproof bag. The rain may start without notice and if your bag is waterproof, then, you have nothing to worry about. If you cannot afford a waterproof bag, choose a bag that comes with rain covers.
- Quick-release – If your bag is not lockable, ensure that it has a quick-release bracket system. This helps you to quickly remove the bag from the bike with ease.
Some useful tips while riding with motorcycle bags
- Some riders tend to hang their bags on the handlebars under the headlight. This causes breathing problems to the engine of your motorcycle by blocking the air and keeping it warmer than usual.
- The best location to place the bags is close to the back seat with proper installation. Saddlebags should be a preference if you are carrying heavy luggage to maintain the balance.
- Keep the load in check. Overloading or incorrect placement of bags may result in un-balancing the ride that could put your life in danger.
- If you have luggage accompanied by a pillion, do keep a check on tire pressure. Always refer to the guidelines provided with your bike and follow the instructions to keep yourself and others safe.
- External straps are recommended for extra security and to prevent any sliding of luggage in the event of sudden breaks and if you are planning for a long-distance journey.
Different types/qualities of motorcycle bags
- Light and soft: These category bags are basically for everyday use. You can use them to store some light materials and carry them along because of their easy detachment. They also lack security and toughness and are easily vulnerable to theft/damage. Some of the examples are tank bags or tail bags.
- Hard and tough: Ideal for rough usage, these bags have all the ingredients to be relied upon. They act as your subordinate to carry maximum luggage, possess tight security systems, and are weather-resistant. These types of bags usually require separate installation on the motorcycle that could be the only drawback for some users. Some of the examples are saddlebags, stackable bags/sissy bar.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What is the difference between the different types of bags?
Answer: Whether you are buying a tail bag, tank bag, saddlebag, hard bag, or a backpack, everything comes down to capacity and the individual needs of the rider. Tank bags are smaller while saddlebags hold more items because they are two-sided.
- Can motorcycle bags protect my stuff?
Answer: Yes, they do. They are constructed with top-quality fabrics that resist wear and tear and absorb impacts.
- Why are motorcycle bags expensive?
Answer: They are expensive because of the quality materials used in making them but you can always find a bag that is within budget.
Conclusion: Are motorcycle bags any good?
A motorcycle bag is a must-have especially for bikers that travel long distances. Even if you are a frequent rider traveling daily, you need to have the additional support of these bags to carry your essentials to avoid the mental distraction while riding.
Apart from being the carriers, the durability and sturdiness act as an additional advantage of using them for external purposes. There are more goods than bads in having the motorcycle bags and you don't want to be on the bad side of the things.
I hope the above information is helpful in guiding you to choose the appropriate bags for your motorcycle ride. If you have any further questions or doubts, please leave them below and I will come back to you as soon as possible.