There is no doubt a motorcycle cover is one piece of kit any serious motorcyclist should not overlook. It prevents your motorbike from being affected by the elements such as rain, sun, and wind. Harsh weather condition is one of the reasons a motorcycle can break down. So, getting a heavy-duty cover will be an excellent idea. In this review post, you will find the best motorcycle covers.
The benefits of having motorcycle covers
- Bike-Protection: Primarily, the covers are meant to protect your motorcycle from the outside dust, and dirt. An open area parking attracts lots of dust. The bird shit is another reason you cannot leave your motorcycle uncovered. The dust and shit may settle down on your motorcycle and demand regular cleaning. A cover can safeguard your motorcycle against these harmful dust particles and protect its original condition.
- Weather-protection: Your motorcycle will have to bear the harsh weather conditions outside if it is not covered. During the summer, excessive heat can impact and lighten the original body paint. Similarly, rainwater can spoil the glossy chrome and cause rusting. Tough material and waterproof motorcycle cover can provide protection from demanding weather conditions.
- Reduces Cleaning effort: Uncovered motorcycle remains dirty and dusty. Your valuable two-wheeler will be at risk of losing its original shine and looks if not taken care of properly. It requires regular cleaning using water, soap, and other polishing liquids. Daily cleaning requires time and effort which is tiresome and may not be possible for everyone. A cover is helpful in keeping your motorcycle clean that reduces your cleaning efforts.
- Theft-protection: While it may sound a bit awkward, the motorcycle cover is actually helpful in disguising the thieves. A full motorcycle cover completely hides your two-wheeler. This is a psychological disadvantage for the culprits who are unable to interpret the actual value of the product. It may not be a full-proof theft protection but is helpful in reducing the stealing effort.
5 Best Motorcycle Covers (Reviews 2021)
How do you find a durable and strong cover for your motorcycle? In this article, we shall be reviewing the 5 best motorcycle covers to help you make a good choice. Read on to find some of the top-rated motorcycle covers in the market.
#1 Dowco Guardian Motorcycle Cover
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
Looking at the Dowco cover from afar, you would conclude it is super-protective. The material is waterproof and can protect the motorcycle from rain, mildew, and sun. On the inside, it has a reflective moisture guard vent to stop it from being moisturized and also resist mildew with the help of polyurethane.
It is roomy enough to perfectly take care of the side mirrors. The high winds will be in-effective on this cover that remains still with polyester webbing belly straps.
- Price is affordable
- Air vents keep the bike breathable
- Durable and strong
- Material vulnerable to melting if covered on a hot bike
#2 Badass Moto Gear Cover
Product Rating: 4.7 / 5
If you are looking for a heavy-duty motorcycle cover, the Badass motorcycle cover is your best bet. Weighing almost 4 pounds, this cover is durable and sturdy. The Badass motorcycle cover is made from extra heavy-duty rip-resistant material with advanced waterproof coatings to effectively protect your motorcycle from harsh weather and hot exhaust pipes.
When faced with the strongest of wind, this cover can stand strong because of the adjustable belly straps that keep it in place.
- 100% waterproof
- Made from heavy-duty material
- Resist heat from the exhaust
- Durable and reliable
- Universal fit
- Needs proper handling while covering the motorcycle
#3 Tourmaster Elite Motorcycle Cover (Large)
Product Rating: 4.2 / 5
Designed to cover every part of the motorcycle, this product is made from top-quality 300 Denier Carbolex material for durability and sturdiness. This is a 100% waterproof cover that keeps your bike dry all day in case it rains. The double stitching makes it a tough motorcycle cover.
The cover features aluminized heat panels that prevent the cover from being damaged from the heat that comes from the exhaust pipes and engine. It comes with a carrying bag for easy storage.
- 100% waterproof
- Fully covers the bike
- Made from quality material
- Durable and strong
- A bit expensive
#4 Oxford CV106 Motorcycle Cover (Medium Size)
Product Rating: 4.4 / 5
The Oxford CV106 is a reputable motorcycle cover that covers your bike halfway. This cover is very affordable. It covers the seat and control areas of your motorcycle. The cover provides exceptional protection against rain, debris, and dust. It is also super easy to store when not in use.
You can store it with ease into the saddlebag or under the seat of your motorcycle. It comes with Velcro straps that prevent the cover from being blown off by the wind.
- Made from quality material
- Durable and sturdy
- Withstands the wind
- Ease of storage
- Covers half part of the bike
#5 Gaucho Motorcycle Cover
Product Rating: 4.2 / 5
The Gaucho all-weather cover is made for sport and mid-size bikes. It is made from 190T waterproof material to protect your machine against snow, dust, and water. It comes with a cotton liner to ensure that your bike’s paint and chrome do not get destroyed.
There are two ventilation openings for breathability and two bottom straps to hold it in place when the wind blows. It is waterproof and water-resistant. The heat-resistant material resists heat from the exhaust up to 150 degrees Fahrenheit. With the double stitching, the cover will last for a long time. A carrying bag is included.
- Waterproof and water-resistant
- Extremely affordable
- Prevents against scratches
- Durable and long-lasting
- Double-stitched for lasting strength
- May lose its color with time
There are factors that you must consider before purchasing a motorcycle cover. Here are some of them.
- Waterproof – Some riders use just anything such as tarpaulin to cover their motorcycles. It is not a good practice. Using a waterproof material is safer than any other material. This is because it does not produce moisture and humidity that may damage the machine.
- Size – This is a critical consideration when buying a motorcycle cover. You need a cover that fits your bike like a hand-in-glove. Most producers of motorcycle covers produce them in one or two sizes. Look at the size of the machine properly before purchasing a motorcycle cover because a cover that fits a wide and tall machine won’t fit a small one.
- Heat protection –When you ride a motorcycle for a long time, it gets hot. The exhaust may have burnt your leg once or twice. So what do you think would happen if you cover your machine when the exhaust is still hot? The cover is surely going to get burnt. This is why you have to choose a heat-resistant cover so the cover won’t get burnt no matter how hot the exhaust is.
- Wind-resistant – It is common for the winds to blow away a motorcycle cover. Look for a wind-resistant cover that has buckle straps so it can perfectly stay in place no matter how strong the wind may be.
- Storage – Choose a cover that is easy to store. Some of them come with a carrying bag or can easily be stored under the machine seat.
How to use the motorcycle covers? Tips & Tricks
- Some of the motorcycle covers are model/brand-specific. It is recommended to chose the cover that is made for your motorcycle brand. This ensures appropriate fitting and quality.
- Lightweight covers need special attention while covering or removing from the motorcycle. Casual approach while using lightweight covers can damage the material or leave scratches.
- If you are not using your motorcycle regularly then it is recommended to remove the cover for some time. Continuous exposure to heat or rain may impact the quality of the cover material. It can become prone to wear and tear and early aging.
- Keep a check on the motorcycle body parts if they remain under cover for a long time. Depending on the weather conditions, continuous coverage could lead to rustiness on the metal or chrome due to internal moisture.
How to install and maintain a motorcycle cover?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What are the best brands for motorcycle covers?
Answer: Some of the best brands include Dowco, Badass and Tourmaster.
- What material should I choose?
Answer: Motorcycle covers are made from different materials such as nylon, polyurethane, and polyester. Choose a cover made from nylon because of its durability.
- Are motorcycle covers costly?
Answer: No, the motorcycle covers cost between $20 to $100.
Conclusion: Keep your motorcycle clean and protected with motorcycle covers
Keeping your motorcycle uncovered can bring in lots of issues related to cleaning, rusting, and weather protection. A motorcycle cover is an important accessory to provide overall protection. They are weather-resistant, waterproof, and comes at an affordable cost.
There are plenty of motorcycle covers that one can review in just one article. However, we have taken our time to choose the best five out of the thousands out there. Any of them is durable, strong and made from quality material and will make a good and long-lasting choice for you.
The best thing about motorcycle covers is they are easy to use and store, and can be carried along anywhere with your ride. They are instrumental in keeping your mean machine clean and protected.