A motorcycle crash bar is called by different names such as engine guard, highway bar, or freeway bar. No matter the name it is called, the crash bar is that stainless steel with a chrome-plated loop that is installed at the lower frame of the motorcycle. Most motorcycles, if not all, have two crash bars; one on each side of the motorcycle frames.
The purpose of mounting a crash bar is to protect the rider from injuries and prevent the engine and frame of the motorcycle from scratching the pavement in case the motorcycle crashes or drops. Read on as we review the 5 best motorcycle crash bars.
The benefits of having motorcycle crash bars
- Damage Reduction: Crash bars are helpful in reducing the damaging impact on your motorcycle engine and body panels. The chrome-plated steel tubes of crash bars spread out wider than the motorcycle to prevent the engine and other vital parts from touching the ground in case of a fall.
- Self-Protection: Crash bars are also useful in protecting you in the event of a low-speed accident. During the fall, your legs are vulnerable to get crushed between the motorcycle and the ground causing serious injuries. The wider design of the crash bar protects your legs from crushing. These bars are also helpful in preventing you from getting trapped under the bike while parking.
- Easy Pick-up: Skidding and falling are very common for motorcycle riders. It is really difficult to pick the whole body of a motorcycle from the ground. It demands some serious hard work, and strength and may also lead to twisting or bending of your body parts. Crash bars keep your motorcycle way above the ground that can be easily picked up in case of a fall.
- Miscellaneous Usage: You can use the crash bars to install other miscellaneous accessories such as lights, cameras, highways pegs, etc. Some of the crash bar designs can be used to install covers that come in handy in protecting your legs from dirt, mud, and water splashes.
Best Motorcycle Crash Bars 2021
With many inferior products in the market, it has become a serious challenge choosing the best motorcycle crash bars. You don’t have to fret. We have selected the very best crash bars available in the market.
#1 Rear Highway Crash Bars
Product Rating: 4.4 / 5
If you are on a budget and looking for affordable crash bars, the Rear Highway Crash Bars are highly recommended. They are constructed from high-quality steel with attractive chrome color. These crash bars give your motorcycle a classic look and at the same time provide additional protection. The installation is easy and pretty straightforward.
Just mount the crash bars onto the motorcycle’s frame. Use fasteners to bolt them to the frame for a great fit. The pair of crash bars comes with 6 bolts. These crash bars have fitment for Indian Roadmaster 2015-2018, Indian Chieftain Dark Horse 2016-2018, Indian Chief Vintage 2014-2018, Indian Chief Classic 2014-2018, and Indian Chief Dark Horse 2016-2018.
- Durable and affordable
- Sturdy and long-lasting
- Provides excellent fit
- Made from quality steel
- Offers great value
- Available in chrome colour only
#2 Motorcycle Chrome Engine Highway Guard Crash Bar
Product Rating: 4.4 / 5
You cannot go wrong with this crash bar. It is specifically made for Harley Sportster XL and XR 2004. Made from chrome, the crash bar is made with increased durability in mind. The quality of welds is also outstanding. The design looks great on your bike and improves its appearance.
This is the perfect crash bar for you if you are on a budget. There is no guesswork when it comes to installation. It comes with metric thread bolts for a stress-free installation. This is a highly functional crash bar with great value. Purchasing this model will be a great decision for your motorcycle.
- Quality construction
- Chrome design
- Easy installation
- Durable and long-lasting
- Functional and tough
- Incomplete hardware
#3 GIVI TN2122 Engine Guard
Product Rating: 4.3 / 5
The GIVI TN2122 Engine Guard is constructed with quality in mind. It is durable, sturdy and long-lasting. This engine guard is constructed from alloy steel for enhanced performance. It is powder-coated in matte black for an enduring finish. The perfect fitment is for Yamaha FT-09 and MT-09 Tracer 2015-2017.
The crash bar comes in set for a complete installation. Each side contain 3 mounting points. Just bolt these 3 points and you are good to go. It is an effortless installation whether you are mechanically-inclined or not. The design of the crash bars adds a better look to your motorcycle.
- Great value for money
- Long-lasting construction
- Made from alloy steel
- Durable and sturdy
- Offers excellent protection
#4 Black Rear Engine Protect Guard Highway Crash Bars
Product Rating: 4.1 / 5
These are another affordable crash bars for the ultimate protection of your motorcycle frame. These crash bars have compatibility with 2015-2000 Indian Chief, Chieftain, Springfield, Vintage, Dark Horse and Roadmaster. The construction is durable and sturdy.
The crash bars are constructed from a strong frame to withstand the harsh environment and powder-coated in matt black to prevent corrosion. The installation comes with no sweat. It requires a direct mounting to your Indian motorcycle frame. They are easily bolted to a frame with fasteners. Screws are included.
- Offers unparallel protection to vital motorcycle parts
- Durable and sturdy construction
- Made from a tough frame
- Easy installation
- Comes in a matte finish to prevent corrosion
- Paints may fade
#5 XJMOTO Black Engine Guard Protector Highway Crash Bar
Product Rating: 4.1 / 5
In terms of durability and build quality, the XJMOTO Black Engine Crash Bar stands out from the crowd. It is made from durable and heavy-duty metal for long-lasting performance. The crash bar is also powder-coated with a glossy black finish to prevent corrosion in a tough environment.
When it comes to design, the crash bar offers your motorcycle a better appearance. In case of a fall, the crash bar stops the frame from touching the ground. Installation is hassle-free. There is no welding, cutting, drilling or any kind of modifications to achieve a perfect fit installation.
- Protects your motorcycle’s bodywork
- No drill installation
- Made from top-quality materials
- Heavy-duty and durable construction
- Powder-coated to resist corrosion
- Comes with the necessary mounting hardware
- A bit pricey
The importance of a motorcycle crash bar cannot be overemphasized. As such, care must be taken when you want to purchase crash bars for your motorcycle since there are many inferior products out there. Before you purchase a set of crash bars, here are the things you must consider.
- Material – The material your crash bars are made from will determine the durability and sturdiness. Go for one made from strong metal. If you buy crash bars made from flimsy material, they may get broken and damaged when there is an impact thereby endangering your life. Preferably, choose one made from steel. Also, ensure they are powder-coated to prevent corrosion.
- Look – Apart from safety purposes, another reason for using crash bars is to improve the look of your motorcycle. To make it right, you must ensure that the colour matches that of your motorcycle. To be safe, chrome or black colour can match any motorcycle.
- Structural design – There are plenty of crash bars that don’t work than those that work. This is due to bad structural design. Some designs look like a cobweb. This can cause some discomfort. For example, it can lead to vibration or excessive weight. It can also affect the motorcycle’s expensive plastic parts. The point is that you have to check the structural design of the crash bars to ensure they fit your motorcycle like a hand in gloves.
- Ease of installation – You don’t have to sweat to install your crash bars. The installation should be simple and straightforward. As such, ensure that the mounting hardware that comes with the crash bars make a perfect fit. If not, it means you will have a hard time installing the crash bars and this may warrant you to purchase extra bolts or screws.
- Fitment concerns – It may be difficult to find universal crash bars. This is why it is important to check the right fitment for your motorcycle. Some crash bars are made for some specific models. Check if your motorcycle model is among the models mentioned by the manufacturer.
- Warranty – Don’t overlook the importance of a warranty when purchasing crash bars. Some products may be defective from the factory or get damaged within a short period. This is where the warranty comes in. With a warranty, you are at liberty to return the product for a replacement.
How to install a motorcycle crash/engine guard
Types of Motorcycle Crash Bars
Crash bars are part of pre-installed equipment on some motorcycles but in general, there are two types of crash bars:
Bars: There are a variety of crash bars available in this segment. Choosing the right one depends on the type of your two-wheeler. These bars are designed to provide protection specific to the engine and surrounding parts. You also get an option of choosing the plastic bars for the overall protection of your motorcycle.
Sliders: You get multiple options in sliders as well. The most common are cut kits, no-cut kits, and axle sliders. The difference between the bar and slider is slider requires additional modification in terms of fairing for proper installation. Sliders provide protection during the crashes and also gives an additional designer element to your bike.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is the usefulness of crash bars?
Answer: Crash bars should be seen as the airbags for cars. While crash bars cannot prevent accidents, they are capable of protecting the rider against impact. They prevent your legs from being pinned down by the motorcycle’s heavy engine when there is a crash.
- Are crash bars effective in the event of an accident?
Answer: Leg injuries are the most when it comes to motorcycle accidents. Having a pair of crash bars can protect the rider from having serious leg injuries.
- How much is a set of crash bars?
Answer: Depending on the quality, a pair of crash bars can cost between $50 and $200.
Conclusion: Crash Bars provide extra protection to you and your motorcycle
It is unimaginable not having crash bars installed on your motorcycle. Not doing so exposes you to possible injuries and losses. Crash bars saves you from sustaining terrible injuries; it protects your motorcycle from excessive damage; prevent the frame of the bike from scratching the pavement in case of a crash and make it easy to pick up your motorcycle in case of a fall. So, the benefits of installing crash bars are inestimable.
Our review of the 5 best motorcycle crash bars has thrown up different options for you. You can make an informed choice based on preference and motorcycle fitment. We are sure that whatever choice you make will be long-lasting.