Wearing a motorcycle jacket is not just for the sake of it. Motorcycle jackets are an integral part of your safety gear whenever you hit the road. As such, like every other safety gear, this piece of clothing must not be overlooked. It does not matter if you ride a scooter or mini-sized bike; a motorcycle jacket keeps you comfortable and safe. With the ideal motorcycle jacket, you can strike a balance between looking good and feeling safe.
Choosing the right motorcycle jacket is where there is a problem especially if you are a first-timer. We have taken care of your worries in this article.
The Benefits Of Wearing Motorcycle Jacket
- Protection: Protection is the primary reason to wear a jacket while riding the motorcycle. In an unfortunate event of a minor accident, the jacket will save your upper body from the scratches, and scars caused due to rough surfaces. Wearing a jacket reduces the impact of up to 50% in motorcycle mishaps.
- Weather-safety: Weather always plays a spoilsport for the motorcyclists. A waterproof jacket is of great use to prevent your body from the incessant rain and a leather jacket keeps your body warm during the winter.
- Style: A motorcycle gear is incomplete without a jacket. It symbolizes the personality of a motorcyclist wearing jacket and demands natural attention. A stylish and colorful jacket makes you stand apart from the crowd.
- Confidence: A perfect apparel in the form of a motorcycle jacket helps in improving the level of confidence of a motorcyclist. An organized and well-prepared rider is always in control of his machine and rides with peace-of-mind.
- Comfort: A jacket with useful pockets is an asset to manage your handholds. A keychain, mobile phone, wallet, etc. can be easily stored in your jacket and is easy to remove as per your comfort and convenience.
Best Motorcycle Jacket Reviews in 2020
After 72 hours of research, we have picked quality and well-made motorcycle jackets so you can make a durable and good choice.
Read on as we do a review of the 5 best motorcycle jackets.
BEST (AutoSupplements Choice)
#1 Viking Cycle Ironborn Protective Textile Motorcycle Jacket
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
Riding your motorcycle this weekend? You would fall in love with the Viking Jacket for its warmth and overall protection. This piece of clothing is all-season and comes with removable CE armor. The jacket is durable and will last for many years.
It has a dedicated phone pocket and there is also a waist adjuster. You will feel very comfortable in this jacket with the well-lined collar and cuffs. Pant attachment is possible with the belt loops.
Provides exceptional ventilation
Comfortable and lightweight
Plenty of pockets
Keeps you warm
A bit pricey
BETTER (AutoSupplements Recommend)
#2 Milwaukee Classic Side Lace Police Style Jacket
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
The Milwaukee Leather Jacket is made from premium milled cowhide to soothe your skin and make you comfortable no matter the season of the year. It gives you that classic biker's look with the police-style design. This jacket has got everything a biker could ever ask for.
It comes with pockets for ease of storage and there are different ways to adjust the jacket for a perfect fit. You can’t go wrong with the Milwaukee Leather Jacket. It is a biker’s choice.
Two zippered pockets
Made from premium milled cowhide
Comes with a built-in waist belt
Water-resistant and comfortable
Heavy-duty and well constructed
No inside pockets
#3 HHR Textile Motorcycle Jacket
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
Made from 600 deniers mesh/polyester, the Textile Jacket with CE amour is well-made to provide unparalleled comfort and safety all day long. There are two front zippered pockets for the easy storage of small items. With the side adjustable waist, what you get is a customized fit.
The sleeves and shoulder come with leather accents for extra comfort. Whenever the temperature plummets, the warm quilted liner comes to the rescue to provide you with some warmth.
Sturdy and durable
Provides enough ventilation
Gives you a customized fit
Two zippered pockets
Well padded & Waterproof
Average quality zippers
#4 Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 Textile Motorcycle Jacket
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
The Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 is a sophisticated motorcycle jacket made from a waterproof material with a wonderful ventilation system. It comes with integrated armor for ultimate protection. It also comes with a full-sleeve liner that is well insulated and removable.
There are reflective stripes to aid visibility at night. Shoulders and elbows are heavily padded for extra protection and comfort. The adjustable waistband system ensures you get a customized fit. The jacket can be attached to the belt using the snap loops.
Shoulders, elbows, lower and upper arms are well padded
Comfortable, protective and stylish
Fits well and versatile
Spine protector is sold separately
#5 ILM Motorcycle Jacket (Men & Women)
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
If you are looking for a motorcycle jacket made from quality leather, look no further than the ILM Motor Leather Jacket. This leather is thick enough to act as padding to keep you comfortable. The jacket comes with patches and zippered front to keep you warm and protected.
Made with a durable polyester lining, this jacket provides comfort in all seasons. With the adjustable laces on the sides, the jacket provides a perfect fit.
Suitable for all weathers
Constructed from solid leather
Impressive and durable
Extremely soft and supple
Comes with sturdy polyester lining
No removable shoulder armor pocket
Buying a motorcycle jacket is not like picking books off the shelves. If you want to purchase a jacket for the first time or you want to upgrade to a newer one with better protection, there are factors you must consider. We have done a thorough research and drawn up a robust buyer’s guide that will help you make a good choice.
If you are looking for the best motorcycle jacket, these are things you must put into consideration.
Features to look for while buying motorcycle jackets
- Leather material – Motorcycle jackets are made from different types of leathers such as cowhide, goatskin, buffalo, and kangaroo leathers. Generally, solid leather jackets are sturdy and provide exceptional protection in case of an injury that may occur while riding the motorcycle. One of the drawbacks of leather jackets is that they are heavier than jackets made from fabric. This translates to better performance in wet and cold weather but poor in hot weather.
- Fabric material – Nylon is the most used material for fabric jackets since it blends well with materials like Armacor, Kevlar, and Denier Corduroy. For better insulation and breathability, these types of materials are usually part of the stuff used in making nylon jackets. Generally, fabric jackets offer great versatility compared to leather jackets. They are comfortable in hot weather but not in cold weather.
- A hybrid material – This is a mixture of both leather and fabric materials. Jackets made from these combinations are perfect for any weather.
- Safety – Safety is of the utmost importance when choosing a motorcycle jacket. Motorcycle accidents most times lead to serious injuries. This is where leather jackets perform better than fabric jackets because leather stretches better and does not get torn easily. Also, ensure that any jacket you want to buy comes with amour for overall protection and safety.
- Comfort – A motorcycle jacket that is not comfortable is useless. As such, comfort is of great importance. Weight and fit are the two things that determine how comfortable a jacket is.
- Weight – There is no doubt leather jackets are a lot heavier than fabric jackets. But fabric jackets are ideal for riding the motorcycle when touring or racing. Generally, it is advised you choose a fabric jacket if you always embark on long-distance travel and choose a leather jacket for shorter rides.
- Fit – Do you want your jacket to be tight or loose? This is something only you can decide. But the good thing is that most motorcycle jackets are adjustable. The adjustability will help you to customize the jacket to a fit that suits you.
- Pockets – Choose jackets that have pockets so you can easily store important items such as mobile phones and keys.
Useful information about motorcycle jackets
- Wearing a leather jacket is meant to provide protection during the crash. The leather material used to manufacture motorcycle jacket is specifically thicker compared to other jackets to save your body from an injury.
- It is recommended to wear a jacket that has armour (s). Some brands specifically attach the armours on shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees and optionally at the back and chest. These armours are made of foam material that spreads effectively to reduce the impact of an injury on your body parts.
- Alternatively, some of the jackets are designed with the latest textile materials such as denier, kevlar, cordura, and lycra that helps in providing additional protection from excessive heat, cold, and water.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What is the best way to care for my motorcycle jacket?
Answer: It depends on the type of jacket. If you are using a leather jacket, just clean it up with a soft cloth. For fabric jackets, do a spot cleaning or wash by hand.
- Can motorcycle jackets last for years?
Answer: Motorcycle jackets can last for many seasons if properly cared for.
- Are leather jackets costly?
Answer: Leather jackets are not costly. They cost around $50 to $100.
Conclusion: Motorcycle jackets are an asset!
Jackets specifically manufactured for motorcycle ride is important. Apart from the reasons mentioned above, jackets carry a value to your overall looks and personality. Not only during the motorcycle ride but these jackets also add as a fashion accessory that can be used for other reasons.
Moreover, they don’t hit your pocket hard and is durable enough to last for years if maintained properly.
I hope the above information is helpful in making you decide to buy the best motorcycle jackets. If you have any questions or feedback please leave them below and I will be more than happy to help you out.