The knees are one of the most exposed body parts when riding a motorcycle. They are valuable parts of the body worth protecting. This is why having a pair of knee pads will save you from some knocks or falls that may cause serious injuries to your knees. In this post, I will help you find the best motorcycle knee pads with their features, pros, and cons.
A pair of knee pads is all you need for your knee’s safety and protection. It helps you to ride your motorcycle for miles without any fears.
What is a knee pad?
A knee pad is padding to protect your knees from injuries. The padding is made from different types of foams, plastics, rubber, and gel to provide soft cushioning to your kneecap. A knee guard is highly recommended for people involved in sports activities, athletics, dancing, armed forces, and motor-biking.
The benefits of having knee pads
- Protect your knees: Injuries and accidents cannot be avoided on the road. Riding a motorcycle has lots of accidental vulnerabilities like skidding, slipping, crashing, falling, etc. In such incidents, the first human touch will be hands and knees. The kneecap structures are very fragile that cannot survive even a small crash. This is why knee pads are important to protect your kneecaps while falling. The specialized foaming material and flexibility of knee pads keep your knees protected and safe from accidental injuries.
- Improves Confidence: Knee pads are very common among biking enthusiasts. The motocross participants and mountaineering bikers use the knee pads regularly. It has been observed that knee pads make a significant change in the mindset of a biker to improve their confidence while riding. The assurance of knee pads protecting the knees helps to perform the riding without fear and better control.
- Save medical costs: The kneecaps are a formation of fragile bones, and ligaments covered with skin. These bones are prone to serious injuries such as fractures, ligament tears that may even need replacements in some cases. One may not be able to perform the same kind of activity with a replaced kneecap or medical treatment for their knees. The recurring costs for such treatments are always on the higher side. It is better to take the precaution in the form of knee pads rather than having a life-long injury, repeated medical costs, and mental stress.
- Multiple-use: Knee pads are available in many shapes, and sizes for specific needs. While the main difference lies in the type of material and shape, these knee pads can be used for multiple purposes. They are specifically designed for adventurous riding but not limited to them. You can use the knee pads for your daily motorcycle ride for better protection and confidence. You can also use the same knee pads for different sporting, and domestic activities.
5 Best Motorcycle Knee Pads (2021)
Choosing the best motorcycle knee pads can be a daunting task especially if you are a first-timer. To help you make a good and lasting choice, our team has made a list of the 5 best motorcycle knee pads. Read on to see the list and pick one that suits you.
#1 Bodyprox Protective Knee pads
Product Rating: 4.4 / 5
The Bodyprox Protective Knee pads provide your knees with all-around protection and safety. These are excellent pads that give your knees a comforting feel all the time. The pads are made from high-density strength foam with great elasticity to protect your knees from knocks.
They are very breathable thereby keeping your skin dry all day and increase blood circulation. These are unisex pads that prevent and reduce the possibility of stiff joints and muscles. They have a custom fit which eliminates the need for constant adjustments on the knees.
- Well-padded and comfortable
- Breathable and elastic
- Reduces the possibility of joints and knees stiffness
- Offers excellent grip with no slips
- Extremely lightweight
- They don’t protect the whole leg
#2 Leatt Brace 3DF Knee & Shin Guards
Product Rating: 4.7 / 5
Give your knee and shin the perfect protection they deserve with the Leatt 3DF Knee & Shin Guards. The guard provides extreme comfort with the soft 3DF impact foam. The padding works perfectly for your knees without any inconveniences or discomforts. These pads fit perfectly straight from the box. The guards are highly recommended for mountain bikers who value superior protection without sacrificing comfort.
The knee cups are very flexible. They become hardened when there is an impact. The Kevlar outer material is exceptionally durable and offers a lot of abrasion resistance. You cannot beat the performance of these pair of guards.
- Highly comfortable and reliable
- Well-padded foam for all-around protection
- Excellent coverage of both knees and shins
- Fits perfectly like a hand in glove
- It is expensive
#3 HEROBIKER Motorcycle Knee pads
Product Rating: 4 / 5
The HEROBIKER knee pads are one of the best knee pads you can find anywhere. It is ergonomically designed for superior mobility. This pair of knee pads is well cushioned with the EVA foam for greater protection and comfort. You are adequately protected from cuts and scrapes with the thick poly shields. They are fully adjustable for a secure fit.
The sponge lining and breathable fabric offer you extreme comfort and unparalleled ventilation thereby preventing moisture and heat. These knee pads are suitable for motorbikes, cycling, climbing, skating, hockey, volleyball, baseball, basketball, and other sports activities.
- Durable and sturdy
- Comfortable and windproof
- Well ventilated
- Ergonomically designed
- Fully adjustable for a perfect fit
- Falls off the knees sometimes
- A bit heavy
#4 Demon D30 Knee pads
Product Rating: 4.1 / 5
The Demon D30 Knee pads provide unmatchable protection over your knees and shins. The perforated neoprene material improves ventilation and controls moisture to keep your skin dry and warm. These pads are nicely padded and pretty comfortable. You will find the Kevlar front shield very useful since it shields your pads from being caught up in the rocks or hard dirt.
The pads are extremely durable with the double stitching advantage. To keep the pads from riding down, there are woven elastic comfort straps to keep the pads in place all the time. These are the perfect pads for snowboard, MTB, BMX, and motorcycle.
- Breathable and durable
- Extremely comfortable
- Complete protection from the knee to shin
- Comfortable strap keeps pads in place
- Shock-absorbing foam
- A bit pricey
#5 Leatt Brace C-Frame Pro Carbon Knee Braces
Product Rating: 4 / 5
This is another product from the stables of Leatt Brace. They seem to know how to make top-quality motorcycle guards. This is a completely different approach to preventing knee injuries from ATV and motorcycles. The C-Frame Pro Carbon Knee Braces is another knee pad that offers excellent protection with so much comfort.
These knee braces are medically certified to offer superior impact protection. The design is based on a three-point force distribution for increased force protection. With the low-profile shin bone plate, there is better comfort for shins and knees. The braces wick moisture so your skin can stay dry all the time.
- Provides the perfect fitment for your knees and shins
- Built-in fracture points
- Extremely comfortable
- Prevents moisture
- Provides unparallel protection
- The cost is out of reach for many
Investing in a pair of motorcycle knee pads is a must if you want to protect your knees from injuries. But it can be a daunting task using the right knee pads. This is why we made this buyer’s guide so you know what to look out for when purchasing this all-important protective gear. Here are the considerations you should have at the back of your mind when choosing motorcycle knee pads.
- Natural feel and comfort – A good pair of motorcycle knee pads should have a natural feel when you wear them. You should feel like you are wearing nothing and yet be comfortable with great protection over your knees and shins. This is important for most athletes. It should be the same feeling even if you wear them to ride on your motorcycle.
- Overall protection – You should choose knee pads that protect you all the way. This is not just your knees but also your shins since the shins and knees are still part of the legs. Look for knee pads that have double knee cups for superior protection.
- Strapping – The straps hold the brace in place. The strapping should not be loose. Loose strapping will make the knee pads drop all the time thereby making you adjust them every time. Frequent adjustments can be a distraction and stress. So, the straps should give you a custom fit. This is a great feature that will help your performance while riding your motorcycle.
- Comfort – You cannot trade comfort for anything. A protective knee pad with great comfort will offer you the best performance. As such, the knee pads should be well cushioned to make you feel very comfortable.
- Durability – Your knee pads should be durable. Most of them are made with strong materials to prevent breakage when there is an impact or collision. Ensure that the knee pads are strong and tough to withstand impact to serve you a long period.
How to maintain the knee pads?
With regular usage, the knee pads get dirty and may start to smell because of the surrounding sweat. It is better to wash and clean the knee pads for durability and maintenance. Cleaning of knee pads is no different than regular laundry or washing. You can use the washing machine to clean the knee pads.
- Wash it in cold water along with some other clothes so that they get proper mix-up and support.
- Use regular washing detergent. Avoid using bleach or other cleaning solvents that may damage the knee guard material.
- Keep the spinning slow for delicate wash. Wash it for 30-minutes and remove them from the washing machine for outside drying. Do not use a washing machine dryer.
- Hang or place the knee pads at an appropriate location where they get proper air and soaking.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Should I wear my knee pads over or under my riding pants?
Answer: It all depends on you. If you feel comfortable wearing the knee pads under your riding pants, then, you are good to go. And if you don’t feel comfortable, then, wear them over your riding pants.
2. Can I stop my knee pads from getting hot?
Answer: Yes, you can stop your knee pads from getting hot by choosing breathable and well-ventilated knee pads.
3. How to measure the size of a knee pad?
Answer: Use a measuring tape to measure the size around your knee. Every brand uses a size chart to manufacture knee pads. Your knee size measurement will help you match the size chart circumference. Make sure to choose a knee guard that is tight around your kneecap for better grip and fitting.
Conclusion: Protect your knees and ride fearlessly with motorcycle knee pads
Not wearing a pair of motorcycle knee pads because they are expensive is penny-wise; pound foolish. The fact is that you will spend more to have knee surgery if you have a serious knock on your knees. So, why do you want to expose your knees to danger?
Some of the benefits of wearing motorcycle knee pads include the prevention of knee and shin injuries, freedom of movement while riding, and extreme comfort.
You cannot trade off all these great benefits for anything. Motorcycle knee pads are great investments. So, choose the knee pads that meet your needs.