Are you interested in securing your truck’s tailgate? If the answer is yes, then, you are in the right place. A momentary loss of concentration can help thieves to gain access into your truck bed and steal your valuables. What is the solution? The solution is the installation of truck tailgate locks. In this article, we will review the best pickup truck tailgate locks.
The locks prevent thieves from gaining access into your truck bed thereby keeping your cargo safe and secure.
The benefits of having truck tailgate locks
- Avoid Tailgate Theft: Your truck’s tailgate has a good resale value in the aftermarket. This makes it irresistible for criminals and thieves to have a hands-on at your truck’s tailgate. You can make the culprits suffer by installing the tailgate locks. The stainless steel-made equipment is helpful in providing perfect protection to the tailgate and avoids its theft.
- Save Replacement Cost: A theft or damage to your truck’s tailgate may cost thousands of dollars for replacement. Not to forget the additional cost of the separate parts, and paint that can hit your pocket really hard. The tailgate locks are affordable, easy-to-install, and durable enough to keep the tailgate protected saving you lots of replacement cost.
- Cargo-Protection: If the tailgate is stolen so will be your valuables on the truck bed. Without the tailgate protection, it’s unavoidable to save the cargo inside the truck that may do big damage to your business. Tailgate locks provide instant protection that covers the tailgate and truck bed avoiding business losses and gives you a peaceful sleep.
- Other Valuables-Protection: You will tend to save a lot with tailgate locks. Don’t forget the other valuable parts that are associated with your truck’s tailgate. The camera, a tailgate step, a tailgate assist, etc. can be lost quickly and gone forever. Imagine the amount and effort you have to spend to re-organize all these things together. You can save your valuables, efforts, and money just by installing the tailgate locks.
5 Best Pickup Truck Tailgate Locks (2021)
With hundreds of truck tailgate locks, there is no doubt that making a choice won’t be an easy task. You don’t have to worry. We have done all the hard work by selecting some great products for your peace of mind. Read on as we review the 5 best pickup truck tailgate locks.
#1 Pop & Lock PL8535 Power Tailgate Lock for Toyota Tacoma & Tundra
Product Rating: 4.7 / 5
If you are looking for the best tailgate lock for Toyota Tacoma or Tundra, look no further than the Pop & Lock PL8535 tailgate lock. It effectively stops thieves from stealing your tailgate or cargo. It is easy to install. No welding is required. The tailgate lock is wired into the truck’s door to lock your tailgate and the cargo inside it.
It locks and unlocks with ease. This tailgate is keyless and can be controlled from a remote location. The tailgate lock is made from stainless steel thereby making it corrosion-resistant.
- Easy to install
- No-drill installation
- Works seamlessly
- Keyless control
- Constructed from stainless steel for durability
- Time-consuming installation
#2 Bolt 5922987 Tailgate for Silverado & Sierra
Product Rating: 4.8 / 5
Stop thieves in their track with the Bolt tailgate lock. It comes with a cylinder that can resist extreme weather conditions. The product is meant for Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra. It is not compatible with Sierra or Silverado Classic. The tailgate lock is waterproof.
It is designed with a stainless steel lock shutter to help eliminate dirt and moisture. Installation is a breeze. It takes just 5 minutes to install the lock. This is a single key unit lock. The product works well with your ignition key.
- Ease of installation
- Impressive design
- Works with your ignition key
- Keeps out moisture and dirt
- A bit pricey
#3 Pop & Lock PL8450 Power Tailgate Lock for Nissan Frontier
Product Rating: 4.9 / 5
If you are looking for a tailgate lock for your Nissan Frontier, the Pop & Lock PL8450 is the best fit for your truck. It ensures maximum security for your tailgate and the contents in it. This lock is made of steel for durability. It is heavy-duty and eliminates tampering with your tailgate when parked at the gas station or on a journey.
The installation is pretty straightforward. It requires no welding or drilling. It provides your truck with a great look and backed by a one-year warranty.
- Installation requires no welding or drilling
- Provides maximum security for cargo
- Made of stainless steel for long-lasting use
- One year warranty
- Durable and sturdy
#4 Bully LH-007WD OEM Tailgate for RAM Pickups
Product Rating: 4.7 / 5
The replacement of a tailgate can be very expensive if it is stolen. This is why a tailgate lock is important. So, if you have a RAM pickup, the Bully LH-007WD tailgate lock is your best bet. Don’t buy it if you don’t have a Dodge truck. It is constructed from high-impact plastic with a metal lock for sturdiness and durability.
The solid aluminum construction makes it strong enough to secure your tailgate perfectly. This tailgate lock cannot be keyed to your normal vehicle key. As such, you must always hold its key along with your vehicle key.
- No drill or cutting installation
- Secures your tailgate adequately
- Easy installation
- Durable and sturdy construction
- Won’t work with other models except for Dodge Ram
#5 Pop & Lock PL8250 Power Tailgate Lock for Ford
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
The Pop & Lock PL8250 tailgate lock is complete peace of mind for many Ford truck owners. It is an excellent anti-theft device for keeping your tailgate safe and secure at all times. The tailgate lock is designed to withstand tough weather and lasts for a long time. It gives your truck a factory look and improves its appearance.
You can choose between the manual and power lock systems. Ensure you create enough clearance for its installation. This is the best product for your Ford truck.
- Guarantees a safe and secure tailgate
- 12 months warranty
- Quick and easy installation
- Powerful electric motor
- Durable and long-lasting
- Not compatible with some models
Truck tailgate locks prevent tailgate theft. As such, having a defective tailgate lock is like not having one at all. There are a few things to consider when you want to choose the best trunk tailgate locks. Here are some of the things you have to take into consideration when choosing a tailgate lock for your truck.
- Type of tailgate – universal or custom
There are two types of tailgate locks. It is either you choose a universal or custom tailgate lock.
- Universal – These types of tailgate locks are constructed in standard sizes. They will fit any truck with a generic system. When you are not sure of the type of tailgate lock that will be suitable for your truck, you can simply go for the universal tailgate lock and it will fit perfectly. They are usually easy to install.
- Custom – The custom-made tailgate locks are designed for some specific vehicles. These are locks that fit perfectly with your truck’s specs. Different vehicle brands such as Toyota Tundra, Toyota Tacoma, Ford, Nissan Titan, Chevy, GM, Silverado, and Honda Ridgeline have custom-made tailgate locks.
- Material -It is of no use purchasing tailgate locks made of poor material. Your locks should be able to function effectively and efficiently. The durability of a product is determined by the material used for making it. Your tailgate lock is either made of stainless steel or ABS plastic with steel.
- Stainless steel – When it comes to durability, tailgate locks made of stainless steel are ranked higher. The metal gives the truck a shiny appearance to improve its look. The locks are also able to withstand tough weather conditions and resist corrosion. Stainless steel material does not discolor or fade over time.
- ABS plastic with steel – Some tailgate locks are made with a combination of steel and ABS plastic. ABS plastic is resistant to corrosion and chemical. It is also environment-friendly.
- System of operation– How do you want to operate your tailgate lock? A lock is not useful without a key. But there are vehicle models that require no extra keys to operate the locks. There are two types of system of operations. It is either you use the power lock or manual lock.
- Power lock – With the power lock system, you don’t have to bother about locking the locks yourself. It is an automated system that locks itself every time you lock the door of your truck. So, the issue of forgetting to lock the tailgate lock does not arise. You don’t also have to double-check.
- Manual lock – Not every vehicle is compatible with the automated system. This is why the manual lock is the right choice in this circumstance. Choose one that works with your ignition key.
- Installation – This should not be complicated. Choose tailgate locks that require no drill or welding for installation.
How to install tailgate lock
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How much does tailgate locks cost?
Answer: Depending on the model, they can cost between $30 and $100.
2. Do tailgate locks require maintenance?
Answer: Yes, they need to be cleaned constantly with WD-40 liquid.
3. Is it necessary to add a lock to my tailgate?
Answer: Yes, but you have to understand that it works alongside your tonneau cover to perfectly secure your items.
Conclusion: Protect your truck’s tailgate and cargo with tailgate locks
Truck tailgate locks are a must-have if you haul cargo every time. They are good for your security and safety. Don’t make any compromise in this regard. It doesn’t matter if you live in a neighborhood. You don’t want your expensive items or even your tailgate to be stolen altogether. When your tailgate is stolen, a replacement is more expensive.
In our 5 best pickup truck tailgate locks review, we have selected the very best products you can find anywhere in the market. They are selected based on functionality, durability, build quality, sturdiness, and ease of installation. Any of these products will serve its purpose for a long time to come.