Every vehicle has plastic trims that are covered around the exteriors. They are necessary to complete the overall design and looks of your vehicle. The plastic trims are also helpful in protecting the main body from small scrubs and scratches. Most of us don’t pay attention to these parts for they being overshadowed by the attractive outer metals, chrome, and glasses. Typically, these small, and lightweight plastic pieces will start to lose their strength and look because of harsh weather conditions, intolerable dirt, and dust. In the long run, it may impact the overall appearance of your vehicle if not taken care of. The solution to maintaining their solidarity is by applying plastic trim restorers. Read on to find out the best plastic trim restorers in this review post.
Plastic trim restorers are helpful in protecting your vehicle’s plastic trims from losing the black shine and restore their original looks.
The benefits of having plastic trim restorers
- Plastic Protection: Plastics tend to lose their shine and quality with time. These parts are usually ignored as they don’t have visual appeal. Irregular maintenance of plastic results in rusting and scratches. Plastic trim restorers have vinyl and trim restoring capabilities. These are helpful to protect and bring back the black vinyl and generate a shiny and fresh appearance of your vehicle’s plastic making them look new.
- Weather Protection: Harsh weather is the main culprit to spoil plastic material. Extensive heat and water lead to fading of black vinyl which may turn grey with time. Plastic trim restorers consist of a coating of protection from dirt and ultraviolet rays. It helps in reducing the impact of extreme weather conditions and maintains the original black vinyl of plastic. The restorer can also dye the vinyl to break the rust caused by rainwater and generate shiny trimming.
- Save cost: In the event of non-maintenance, the plastic portion can degrade and lose its original condition and value. The material may get weak and a small collision is enough to break the whole plastic part into pieces. Replacing the whole part will cost you more than spending some money on buying the plastic trim restorers. The restorers will help you save a good amount of cost on repairing and replacement of plastic.
- Improves Quality and Value: These restorers may need an application for a few months based upon their own climate requirements. They can nourish the vinyl on plastic when correctly implemented maintaining the plastic quality in its original condition. Well-maintained exterior parts of your vehicle can increase its resale value.
5 Best Plastic Trim Restorers (2021)
To replace your vinyl and trimming bits in their prior glory there are many products to chose from. Read our best plastic trim restorers reviews to make an appropriate choice.
#1 Chemical Guys VRP
Product Rating: 4.7 / 5
V.R.P. Super Shine Dressing is actually a water-based dressing that is dry-to-the-tough. The application works greatly on vinyl, leather, rubber, as well as tires. It is applied to both the exterior and interior surfaces and generates an invisible shield that repels dust, soil, and water and additionally, protects the surfaces.
This product resists drying, evaporating, and dividing surfaces to help with keeping up the inner and outside surfaces while still at the exact identical time enhancing the image and glow. V.R.P. Super Shine Dressing’s 100% dry-to-the-touch capability makes it non-greasy or fatty and ensures to provide protection and glow to the plastic. It also brings about the authentic shine and feel of leather, plastic, vinyl, rubber, as well as tires.
It may be implemented as frequently as you’d like without the anxiety about discoloration or almost any clouding. V.R.P. Super Shine Dressing contains patented UV-absorbers that permeate deep into surfaces and become a protective barrier against harmful ultraviolet rays which can lead to premature aging, cracking, peeling, and fading. You won’t see any evaporation or dullness arising because of the strong UV-protection from Chemical Guys V.R.P.
- Powerful protectant
- UV protection
- Does not work on water spots
#2 Meguiar’s G15812 Plastic Restorer Black
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
Meguiar’s Ultimate black-plastic restorer is instrumental in bringing life with outside vinyl and rubber trimming. It works amazingly on moldings, bumpers and door handle, rear-view mirror housings, and windshield cowlings. Utilizing coating technology, Meguiar’s Ultimate black-plastic restorer trimming care solutions, and considerably outlast protectants.
When surfaces make wet this formula is non-greasy dry immediately and won’t run. Together with the Ultimate Black of Meguiar fresh and produce trim, make rich shadow and glow, and supply outstanding UV protection.
Without fretting about leaving a residue Meguiar’s Ultimate Black, renews the appearance of an automobile’s trim. Supreme Black has higher-level technology which disturbs surfaces to stop damage.
These progress polymers revive the color of this trimming. Eventually, whenever a vehicle’s exterior trim suffers excessive heat exposure under the sun, it affects the vehicle’s plastic’s blackness. You would love to apply only a dime-size drop of Meguiar’s Ultimate Black solution foam which is enough to take care of small sections at a time and is devised to keep the minimal requirement of usage to achieve favorable results.
- Easy to use
- UV technology
- Limited parts usage and moderately harmful
#3 Mothers 06112 Trim & Plastic Restorer
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
Mothers Back-to-Black Trim & Plastic Restorer is a fantastic instance of a formula constructed for vinyl and urethanes left dirty and exposed, where the top is straightened and scraped dry disappeared and out, you’re able to re-apply it using a restorative representative that is plastic. Remove and surface picture easily, protecting against corrosion brought on by sunlight, smog, water, ozone, compounds, and contaminants and bringing that shining color back.
When washing your vehicle, you can observe that outdoor elements (for instance, trimming, molding, bumpers, door handles, vents, clogs along with many others) have faded from black to grey, their surface cracked and crispy. This is really where restoratives enjoy Back-to-Black shine which is done by Mother’s back-to-black trim and plastic restorer. Applying it repeatedly over a few days might help bridge the difference between sun-burned or tired bonds.
- Easy to apply
- Unique formula
- May not work on all vehicle plastics
#4 Armor All Car Trim & Plastic Cleaner
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
Armor All is actually a coat appearing as good to the scrub which restores unpainted that lasts to get 100 washes or longer. This is a coating that restores weathered vinyl cut to glow and luster. One 8 Oz bottle has a powerful formula that is simple to use. This product is re-storing trim to the original look however, it will not end there as it cures to produce a coating that will last for a very long time.
The product is the best in class to rejuvenate the worn and weathered surfaces generating glossy shine by removing the corrosion and scratches to the fullest. This is a scientific formula that brings out the pigments and bonds to your plastic and is originally manufactured by one of the most trusted brands for the best results and customer satisfaction.
- Unique formula
- Easy to apply
- Limited vehicle parts usage
#5 Lithium Trim Serum Plastic Restorer
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
A new science technology Trim Serum, out-of-the-box thinking about the way to alter weathered trim. Highly-concentrated top-shelf ingredients are united regarding re-conditioning polymers that need to get the job done with expectations. Once applied as per the instructions rubber and plastic will appear brand-new in moments and may last for weeks or months proving their longevity.
Dries wash with no residue. It keeps rubber and plastic from drying oxidizing and cracking through the reduced serum that generates a shield for protection. Rubber and vinyl parts move from appearing to be rich and that they were new. The trim serum contains UV inhibitors that protect the plastic, rubber, and atmosphere against harmful elements. Reduce Serum penetrates the pores in vinyl, for its results out there and extends past the top.
Soft rubbing brings back the new plastic and keeps it fresh. It comes with an unconditional warranty as claimed by the manufacturer with a money-back guarantee on non-satisfaction.
- Easy to use
- New scientific formula
- UV protector
- Value for money
- Comparatively Expensive
Plastic protectants or restorers advertise properties and characteristics out of which many are oil-based or liquid-based. You want to steer clear of solutions while they do not survive and can demand applications that are constant. While looking for an item, consider the following features.
- Easy to use– The solution should be easy to apply on vehicle parts without spilling. It is better to have a product that is non-greasy or too oily which may take more time and effort.
- Type– In addition to being non-greasy and non-oily, choose a product that is silicone-free. Silicone-free restorer impacts long-lasting finish giving your vehicle a new look. Again, it depends on individual choice and the type of plastic parts you want to restore.
- Versatile– If you have an end number of plastics that need trimming and restoring then look for a product that can work on multiple parts. Otherwise, a plastic restorer with back-to-black capability is enough for casual use.
- Real protector– Heat and water are the two main contributors in taking away the shine from your vehicle plastics. Choose a product that is powerful enough to protect your vehicle’s plastics and trims against UV rays, rain, dirt, and dust.
- Price– There are quite a few products in these categories that can do enough work of protecting and restoring the plastic with cheap formula or solutions with temporary impact. It doesn’t matter if you opt for a product that is a bit expensive and give you a perfect and long-lasting solution preventing you from repeated buying.
Just remember that these products are only a temporary fix to a problem and may need a repeated application for better effects.
How to use the plastic trim restorer?
- Make sure to first wash and dry the plastic or trim you want to apply the solution.
- After the plastic or trim is completely dried, just apply the solution using the provided gloves, sponge, or cloth. Do not apply it with naked hands.
- Ensure that you apply the solution out of direct sunlight and when the plastic or trim is cool to touch. The direct heat of the sun may impact the lasting finish that could be non-satisfactory.
- Leave the parts to dry out to get instant and long-lasting results.
Most of the reputed products are formula-based scientific solutions, so please clean yourself immediately after the job is done to prevent any harmful chemical impact on your health.
Caution: Plastic degradation additionally contributes to the discharge of volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) from the plastic. This off-gassing of chemicals may cause other ailments as well as eye irritation. Dust out of residue may irritate. Wear gloves and protective eyewear when handling plastics and wash hands to avoid skin exposure.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What are the causes of fading plastic?
Answer: Time and climate conditions are two factors that may impact the quality of your vehicle’s plastic. Irregular maintenance for a long time and heat, wind, rain, and dust cause the plastic lose its original shine and attract fading.
- Are plastic trim restorers worth it?
Answer: Yes, plastic trim restorers help reduce the impact of rusting and fading of plastic. The specialized solutions of plastic trim restorers provide protection from oxidation and cracking of plastic caused by extreme weather conditions.
- Are plastic trim restorers expensive?
Answer: No. An effective plastic trim restorer costs between $20 to $50.
Conclusion: Protect your vehicle’s plastic with plastic trim restorers
Plastics are affordable and lasting. But oxidation of vinyl leaves the capacity for rapid degradation. It also degrades with time because of continuous contact with the weather.
Luckily, many vinyl objects can be revived in-home via solutions and polishing methods that involve vinegar, laundry detergent, household cleaner, bleach, and water. But the process is very time-consuming and does not provide effective results. An expert restoration is required in the form of high-quality, affordable, and effective plastic and trim restorers for highly valuable vehicles.