Is your tailgate always free-falling? A free-falling tailgate is an abnormality. It reduces the life of its mounting hardware. Minor accidents are also possible when you use a free-falling tailgate. The unpleasant noise it produces when dropping can also be a nuisance. So, what can be done to stop this problem? The solution is in attaching a truck tailgate assist to eliminate the issue of dropping or free-falling tailgates. In this article, we will review the best tailgate assist in 2021.
The tailgate assist is like a shock absorber that slows down the tailgate’s movement.
The benefits of having tailgate assist
- Smooth Opening of Tailgate: When you frequently open your truck’s tailgate, the mounting hardware tends to become loose. The constant drop and pull reduces the stability and makes your tailgate free-falling. With the installation of the tailgate assist the opening of the tailgate becomes much smoother and gives it a balanced fall.
- Save Physical Injury: A free-falling tailgate is always hazardous to your body. The metal part of the tailgate is heavy and can cause physical injury if opened negligently. The tailgate assist controls the downfall speed of the tailgate saving you physical harm and gives complete peace-of-mind.
- Improves Tailgate Durability: The use of your truck’s tailgate is very important if you are in the cargo business. It is difficult to keep count of the number of times the tailgate has to be opened and closed. This makes the tailgate vulnerable to premature aging. Tailgate assist helps in improving the durability of your truck’s tailgate by providing support to the mounting hardware, with controlled falling.
- Avoids Tailgate Dropping Noise: Loose and free-falling tailgate create an irritating noise while dropping. The tailgate noise could be disturbing and embarrassing for you and others attracting unnecessary attention. The dropping noise is easily avoidable by installing the tailgate assist that doesn’t allow the tailgate to fall freely and create the disturbance.
5 Best Tailgate Assist (Reviews) 2021
There are hundreds of tailgate assists designed for different vehicles. This makes it extremely difficult to choose one that is well suited for your truck. You don’t have to worry. The products reviewed in this article are the best you can find. Read on as we have the 5 best tailgate assist reviews for long-lasting usage.
#1 Dee Zee DZ43200 Tailgate Assist for 04-14 Ford F150 & 04-14 Lincoln Mark LT Trucks
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
The DZ43200 is one of the best tailgate assists you can find if you are driving a 04-14 Ford F150 truck. It comes with a shock absorber to make your tailgate function effectively. It also comes with a factory cable which eliminates the need to drill holes on your tailgate since there are holes on the cable already.
With the gas shock dampener mechanism, the tailgate can be lowered slowly with one hand during its opening and closing. The installation is straightforward making it a worthwhile experience for beginners.
- Simple and easy installation
- Moves smoothly
- Heavy-duty construction
- Durable and functional
- Reasonably priced
- Not suitable for other models
#2 Buyers Products EZ Tailgate Assist 5201000
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
Buyers Products is known for making excellent products. The EZ tailgate assist is not an exception. It comes in a patented design to reduce physical strains during the lifting and lowering of your tailgate. It also reduces weight pressure by as much as 90%.
The package includes mounting hardware for easy installation. You will enjoy a quiet operation since the product is fitted with an anti-rattle spring. The tool is compatible with many trailer trucks with round or square tubing. Installation is hassle-free since no drilling is needed for setup.
- Mounting gear is included
- Operates smoothly
- Easy installation
- Reduced physical strain
- Compatible with different trailer trucks
- Expect some issues with supplied bolts
#3 AEagle Tailgate Assist Shock 43301 for 2009-2019 Dodge Ram
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
This tailgate assist is designed for Dodge Ram models between 2009 and 2019. It effectively controls the drop rate of the truck tailgate. The installation is stress-free since no drills are required for the setup. There is a clear instruction for DIY installation.
This tailgate helps to simplify the movement of your tailgate upward and downward. It works well with the factory cables. What you will find in the package includes 1 shock, 1 ball mount, 1 blind nut tool, 1 cable clip, and 1 Torx wrench.
- Hassle-free installation
- Durable construction
- Well priced
- Effective and efficient
- Comes with mounting hardware
- Tools needed for installation
#4 Toolly Tailgate Assist for 2015-2019 Ford F150
Product Rating: 4.3 / 5
If you are still struggling with a falling tailgate, then, the Toolly tailgate assist may be a good choice for you. It is constructed from upgraded steel for sturdiness and durability. The tailgate assist lowers your tailgate quietly and slowly. Just one is needed on the driver’s side and you are good to go.
Torx wrenches and hardware have been included in the package. It is suitable for the Ford F150 of 2015 to 2019. Installation takes less than 30 minutes to get done.
- High-quality construction
- Sturdy and durable
- No-drill installation
- Quality product
- Operates quietly
- No instructions
#5 Travay 43300 Tailgate Assist for 2002-2009 Dodge Ram 1500, 2500 & 3500
Product Rating: 4.3 / 5
This is another highly functional tailgate assist for your Dodge Ram. It is compatible with 2002-2009 Dodge Ram 1500, 2500 & 3500. The tailgate assist is robustly designed to withstand extreme temperatures of up to -90 degrees Celsius. Your tailgate will function smoothly with minimal noise if you install it properly.
You can install the unit yourself by following the instruction. The best part of it is that the installation is super easy. It comes with some mounting hardware.
- Easy to install
- Sturdy and durable
- Highly functional
- Smooth operation
- Great design
- Not for all Ford models
Choosing the best truck tailgate assist is not easy. There are a lot of considerations you have to factor into your choice. If you make a wrong choice, it means you have wasted your time and money. So, before you choose one, consider the following factors.
- Purpose – The purpose of purchasing a tailgate assist may be different based on the product. An example in hand is if you don’t have a pre-installed tailgate cable on your vehicle. You will need to purchase a tailgate assist that functions as both a tailgate cable and dampener. In this situation, you don’t have any choice but to purchase two tailgate assists for both sides. If the purpose of the tailgate assist is to reduce the drop rate of your tailgate, then, you have to go for one with a gas shock alongside its accompanying ball and socket. This type is installed on just one side.
- Vehicle models – Always check out the compatibility of your truck model with the tailgate assist that you want to buy to avoid a mismatch. Always check the chart for compatibility. Match the year and model to be double sure. Doing this will help you not to lose money.
- Resistance to dust – For durability, you need to choose a tailgate assist that has an anti-dust feature. The best thing to do in this regard is to choose one made of aluminum to prevent corrosion and rust.
- Ease of installation – No one wants a complicated unit. This is why you should carefully look for a tailgate assist that is easy to install. Ensure that the package includes all the mounting hardware required to complete the installation. Look for one that is compatible with your truck model without the need to drill or weld the tailgate.
- OEM or not – Products made by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) fits your vehicle like a hand in glove. You don’t have to bother about issues of compatibility or quality. It requires no drilling or any alterations. But the problem here is that OEM products are expensive. This can be an issue if you are tight on budget. If you cannot afford the OEM product, go for the non-OEM.
How to install tailgate assist
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How do tailgate assists function?
Answer: Everything depends on the mechanism. Some make use of the spring shock dampener to hold the gate while others come with cable fixed to the tailgate rails. The factory cables are removed to perfectly reduce the tailgate’s drop rate.
2. Do I have to purchase the mounting hardware separately?
Answer: It depends on the manufacturer. Some products come with mounting hardware while others don’t.
3. How much does a tailgate assist cost?
Answer: In general, a tailgate assist doesn’t cost that much. It costs between $20 and $50.
Conclusion: Control the free-fall of the truck tailgate with tailgate assist
A free-falling tailgate is very hazardous. It could cause injury to the body. Apart from that, it is also noisy. This is why the use of a tailgate assist is important. The best truck tailgate assist prevents hurt and damages. It makes your tailgate function effortlessly and elongates the structure of the vehicle since tailgate slamming would be eliminated.
This is why we have selected the 5 best products so you can make an informed decision. These products have been tested and trusted. Ensure that you check the compatibility with your vehicle.
Whatever your choice, we are certain that you will have a durable and long-lasting tailgate assist.