The back and neck suffer a lot if you always drive or travel a long distance all the time. This can be very exhausting on the mind and body too. At a point, it starts to take a toll on your health. Chiropractors have advised car owners who drive for long hours to mitigate its effect on the body by using travel neck pillows. In this review post, we will help you find the best travel neck pillows for ease of driving and good health.
So, what is a travel neck pillow? A travel neck pillow is a well-padded pillow that can be attached to your car seat to serve as a headrest to relieve your neck of pains when driving or traveling.
The benefits of having travel neck pillows
- Neck Support: A travel neck pillow is a good companion for you while traveling. Your car seats are equipped with headrest but it is usually set high and does not provide comfort. A travel neck pillow is made of memory foam and specifically designed to support your neck around. With the help of a travel neck pillow, you can adjust your neck and back of your head to have a comfortable ride. Travel neck pillow makes it easier to take some rest during long journeys.
- Prevents Health Issues: Your neck and back have to suffer a lot while traveling. Long journeys in a car, airplane, train, or bus can be tiring and cumbersome. Unable to move your body may cause stiffness and fatigue. A travel neck pillow has adjustable side supports and a memory collar. The cervical design of a neck pillow gives you an option to rest your head on either side and go for a long sleep without bothering about neck and back pains.
- Easy to get along: Neck pillows are small in size and can be easily carried along. It doesn’t matter what is your traveling source. You can easily stuff the neck pillow into your luggage bag, or a vehicle trunk. These pillows can be used at home to have a quick nap on sofas or resting chairs. Don’t forget the different colors, shapes, and designs you get with neck pillows to match your like and car interiors.
- Resting Instrument: While it is not recommended to use a neck pillow for driving, you may use it to take some rest. If you are traveling with co-passengers who can drive it gives you an option to switch the gears and take a small nap. A short resting break is important for rejuvenation and avoids fatigue and tiredness during a long-distance journey.
5 Best Travel Neck Pillows (Reviews 2021)
There are plenty of options on the market. This makes it difficult to make a choice. In this review, we have selected the best travel neck pillows for you. Read on to make a good choice that is perfect for you.
#1 TALLGO Neck Pillow
Product Rating: 4.4 / 5
This car neck pillow is made from the finest memory foam to support your head and neck so you can feel comfortable all day long. The outer cover is made from polyester plush velour for extreme comfort. The pillow is breathable meaning it doesn’t obstruct air circulation. It is ergonomically designed to provide multi-angle protection for the cervical spine too.
Using the TALLGO neck pillow can reduce the amount of pressure exerted on your bone. It prevents too much tilting of the head to protect your cervical health. It is easily adjustable to suit any position. It is the best partner for your air and road travels. This is also good for home use.
- Great comfort and support
- Breathable cover
- The cover is removable and washable
- Made with memory foam
- Perfect for adult and children
- Not suitable for people with a long neck
#2 MLVOC Neck Pillow
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
Stay comfortable all the time with the MLVOC Neck Pillow. It is made with 100% memory foam to give your neck the long-lasting soothing relief that it deserves. The cover is breathable and washable. There is enough air circulation to prevent the stuffiness of the neck. With the adjustment buckle, you can adjust the pillow easily till you are comfortable. It comes with 3-D contoured eye masks and earplugs for increase comfort.
The design is bound to relieve you of neck fatigue. The neck pillow helps you to fall asleep very easily because of its superior softness. There are no odors and after the foam is compressed, it rebounds within three to five seconds. It comes with a portable storage bag to carry the pillow from one place to another.
- Made from 100% memory foam
- Relieves neck fatigue
- Breathable and washable cover
- Makes you feel relaxed and fall asleep easily
- Easily adjustable and comfortable
- Sizing needs improvement
#3 SAIREIDER Neck Pillow
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
The SAIREIDER Neck Pillow is another sophisticated neck pillow made from memory foam to make you comfortable while traveling on the road or by air. The pillow can retain its shape even after it is squeezed at will. It can be adjusted to increase your comfort level. It comes with earplugs and a sleep mask to prevent your head from falling forward.
The neck pillow is ergonomically designed with a contoured shape to eliminate any discomforts. There is a flat cut on the back of the pillow to help you seat back comfortably to prevent the pushing forward of the head. It is ideal for all occasions.
- Made from memory foam
- Provides all-around support and comfort
- No chemical smell
- Cover can be removed and washed
- Durable and inexpensive
- No clear warranty
#4 Twist Neck Pillow
Product Rating: 4.4 / 5
The Twist Neck Pillow is very versatile. You can use it to support your neck, chin, shoulder, cervical spine, lumbar, and leg. It can also be used as a car headrest. The pillow provides you with all-around support to make you completely comfortable all day long. This memory foam cushions the body effectively to relieve painful pressure points that ultimately make feel very relaxed.
It is ideal for traveling on the bus, airplane, and train. The pillow is made with 100% memory foam. You can twist to any shape that you desire. It is made with a breathable and washable cotton cover for ease of cleaning. You can easily carry it in your backpack or luggage.
- Breathable and easy to clean cover
- Helps to relieve pain
- Twistable pillow
- Exceptionally designed to support neck, leg, lumbar, etc.
- Perfect for adults and children for napping
- Does not provide adequate chin support
#5 Travelmate Neck Pillow
Product Rating: 4.4 / 5
You cannot ignore the comfort and support the Travelmate Neck Pillow brings into your life. This neck pillow is made with 100% memory foam for extreme comfort. It prevents your head from being pushed forward. The zippered cover is washable. It comes with an elastic strap to help you attach the pillow to your luggage in case you are traveling.
This is a thermo-sensitive pillow that molds into your body’s natural contours for a custom fit. You will love the softness which can make you fall asleep whether you are on an airline seat or seating on a recliner at home. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Provides great comfort and support
- The thickness is adjustable
- Perfect support for the neck and shoulders
- Washable cover
- Elastic strap to easily attach it to a luggage
- It has an unpleasant chemical odor
Choosing a neck pillow is not like picking fruits at the grocery store. There are features you must look out for if you want complete comfort and support. Here are the considerations you must have at the back of your mind before choosing the best neck pillow.
- Material – What material is used in making the pillow? This is the question you must ask before choosing a neck pillow. Many of the pillows are just piled up with foams. This type of pillow won’t be comfortable for you. A good travel neck pillow must be made of 100% memory foam. Memory foams are extremely soft and can adjust to conform to the shape of your body.
- Ergonomic design – The design of the travel neck pillow is another thing you must consider. Though many of the pillows provide neck support, you should look for an adjustable pillow that can at the same time be used for lumbar or shoulder support depending on the part of the body that requires support. It should be twistable to offer support and comfort to any part of the body.
- Seat strap – If you would want to use the neck pillow as a headrest, it should come with straps for easy attachment to the car/vehicle seat. The strap should be stretchable over any car/vehicle seat.
- Colour – There are plenty of designs and colors out there. Look for a color that matches the interior of your vehicle.
- Cover – The cover of the travel neck pillow should be made of polyester or cotton material. This cover material must be breathable and washable. To easily remove the cover, you must ensure that it is a zippered cover. It will make sense to choose a machine-washable cover.
How to use the travel neck pillow?
Using a travel neck pillow depends on various factors such as your seating position, fellow passengers, type of pillow, and your own personal needs. Make sure to follow the below points while using a travel neck pillow:
- Inflate the pillow to the right amount. Look for the inflation valve and blow up the pillow to the extent where you can feel comfortable laying on it.
- Adjust your seat in a sleeping position. If you cannot recline your seat to the maximum level because of other passengers make sure to recline it backward as far as you can. Sleeping on a straight seat may cause back pain.
- Slip the travel pillow around your neck. You can adjust the neck pillow’s position as per your comfort. The travel neck pillows can be flipped according to your needs. The foam padding, beads, or gel come in handy here to provide extra support. This is to ensure that you get maximum convenience while sleeping and avoid body cramps and pain.
The above points are applicable for all types of traveling resources such as an airplane, a car, train, or a bus. Ensure to get your preferred choice of seats to make maximum use of travel neck pillows.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How can I attach a travel neck pillow to my car seat?
Answer: To attach a travel neck pillow to your car seat, you must ensure that the pillow comes with straps. The straps help you to fix it around the top side of the car seat.
2. Can a tall person of six feet use a travel neck pillow?
Answer: Yes. Choose one that is very adjustable to fit you. Most tall people of six feet have long necks. Ensure that the pillow you choose is well cushioned to support your neck adequately.
3. How much does a travel neck pillow cost?
Answer: Generally, travel neck pillows are inexpensive. They cost between $15 and $30.
4. Can you use a neck pillow while driving?
Answer: The answer to this question depends on the driving experience of an individual. However, for distraction-free driving, it is advisable to avoid using the neck pillow.
Conclusion: Take care of your neck and back with travel neck pillows
As a vehicle owner, you cannot overlook the use of a travel neck pillow especially if you drive every day. Without a pillow, you may start developing a sour neck and hurtful back.
Some of the benefits of using a travel neck pillow include pain relief, improvement in posture, comfort, and support.
The overall help benefits of using a travel neck pillow outweigh any reasons for not using it. The good part of it is that the pillows are inexpensive. So, there can be no justifiable reasons for not using a travel neck pillow. Choose one that meets your needs out of the five-travel neck pillows reviewed in this post.