The truck is designed to haul cargo. This explains why there are a lot of dents on the truck bed. One of the best ways truck owners can protect their possessions from dents and damage is to install truck bed mats. In this article, you will find out the best truck bed mats.
These truck bed mats prevent the destruction of truck beds which is usually caused by sliding cargo.
The benefits of having truck bed mats
- Truck bed floor protection: Bed mats originated to protect the flooring of the truck bed. The dents, and damage caused by sliding and movement of cargo impact the truck bed floor more than any other part. The coverage provided by bed mats is useful in protecting the bed floor from cargo damages.
- Weather protection: The UV-rays and water are the two main reasons to result in rusting and corrosion of bed floor. Keeping the flooring under the bed mat keeps it protected from the heat and provides valuable safety from rainy water.
- Save cost: The bed mats are the cheaper version of bed liners available in the market. You may not get the durability and complete protection like other bed liners but the material and shape of these bed mats are enough to protect your truck bed flooring at a low cost.
- Custom-fit: The bed mats are easily available for most of the truck beds and can also be made custom fit as per your truck bed size. This is one of the primary advantages of having truck bed mats compared to other bed liners as they can be customized manually without too much effort.
- Cargo accommodation: The installation of bed mats allows you to accommodate more cargo on your truck bed. The bed mats provide you relief from the cargo damages, and other impacts giving you complete peace-of-mind while driving and improve business opportunities.
5 Best Truck Bed Mats (2021)
There are hundreds of truck bed mats in the market which makes it a bit difficult to make a perfect choice. This article will help to solve that issue. We have selected the 5 best truck bed mats based on sturdiness, durability and performance. Read on so you can make an excellent choice in the end.
#1 Dee Zee DZ86973 Heavyweight Bed Mat
Product Rating: 4.7 / 5
Dee Zee Bed Mat enables you to prevent the sliding and damaging of your cargo. This is a rubberized truck mat that effectively reduces UV rays. This mat is resistant to fading, abrasions, cracking, and fuel spillage. The truck bed mat makes a perfect fit for trucks such as the 2014 Double Cab Chevrolet Silverado and the 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax.
Its construction allows for water drainage. It covers the truck very well. Being a high-strength rubber mat, this protective mat is durable and sturdy enough to withstand any abuse.
- Heavy-duty rubber mat
- Prevents spillage and cargo shifting
- Comes with water drainage
- Resists tears and cracking
- Provides a custom fit
- It smells
#2 Westin 50-6355 Rubber Truck Bed Mat
Product Rating: 4.7 / 5
The heavyweight rubber bed mat is designed to provide the ultimate protection for your truck bed. It is made robust and tough to prevent damage and dents usually caused by unstable cargo. This is a complete mat that does not only cover the truck bed but also comes with a tailgate mat for overall protection.
The truck bed mat is suitable for long and short Toyota truck beds, Dodge, Ford, GMC, and Chevy. Made from 100% unused heavyweight rubber, this truck bed mat is anti-skid and provides unparallel traction to hold your cargo in place without shifting from one side to another.
- Easy, no-tool installation
- Heavyweight rubber construction
- Provides a non-slip surface
- Improves the value of your truck
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- A bit pricey
#3 BedRug XLT Mat XLTBMQ For Ford F-150
Product Rating: 4.6 / 5
The BedRug XLT is made for comfort and extra protection in mind. It is specifically designed for spray-in bed liners and trucks without bed liners. This mat is thick and well-cushioned. It covers the hinge cap and tailgate. The mat is resistant to chemicals, oils, rain, snow, and gasoline.
This truck bed mat is made from polypropylene construction which makes it able to resist slip and skid. The installation is a breeze. No need for prepping, drilling, or sanding. Just use the fasteners for a quick and easy installation.
- Provides smooth surface
- Fade and UV-resistant
- Does not absorb water
- Simple installation
- Eliminates the build-up of debris
- Installation guide is not clear
#4 Westin 50-6145 Rubber Truck Bed Mat
Product Rating: 4.7 / 5
Preserve the value of your truck with the Westin Rubber Bed Mat. This truck bed mat fits your truck like a hand in glove and prevents the shifting of cargo. The mat does not slide when loading or unloading cargo. It has an excellent grip on the truck bed and it is not slippery.
The mat is 100% eco-friendly since it is made from recycled rubber. Installation is straightforward. Just unroll the truck mat for a custom fit. It fits trucks like Toyota, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, and GMC. You get a 3-years warranty with this product.
- Fits perfectly without trimming
- Reduces the sliding of cargo
- Made from heavy-duty and thick material
- Quick and easy installation
- Provides a non-slip surface
- Not visually appealing
#5 BedRug Impact Mat IMT02SBS
Product Rating: 4 / 5
The Impact Mat is an exceptional truck bed mat that resists dent and impact. This makes your truck bed have a smooth surface that is anti-skid and anti-slip thereby making your cargo stay in place without shifting. It is well cushioned to make it knee-friendly. Installation is a piece of cake.
No drilling or prepping is required. Use the loop and hook fasteners for easy installation. The truck bed mat eliminates the buildup of debris between the truck bed and tailgate. It is resistant to UV, fade, and mildew.
- It doesn’t absorb water
- Prevents the shifting of cargo
- Hassle-free installation
- Resists impact and dents
- Eliminates debris buildup
- It is expensive
Purchasing the best truck bed mats is not like walking into a clothing store. There are factors that you must consider before you purchase a truck bed mat if you want something durable and sturdy. Doing some research will help you to make the right choice. These are the things you must look out for before you pay for a truck bed mat.
- Size and shape – The size and shape of a truck bed mat are determined by the manufacturer. As such, you have to pick one that fits the size and shape of your truck bed in terms of dimension. There are some mats that you can also cut to fit your truck bed. Know the dimension of your truck bed before you purchase a mat. If you do this perfectly, then, there won’t be any case of shifting cargo.
- Truck bed mat traction – Traction is an important consideration whenever you are contemplating purchasing a truck bed mat. It must not skid especially if you want the cargo to stay in place. When the mat is skid-proof, it means the cargo won’t slide from side to side. If your truck bed has a textured surface, it helps to prevent the shifting of cargo.
- Durability – It does not matter if you haul light or heavy cargo. The bottom line is that your truck bed mat should be durable. Check out the material the mat is made from before you buy. Polypropylene and rubber are the best materials when it comes to the making of truck bed mats. The choice is yours. Also, ensure that the mat is resistant to corrosion, rust, cracking, abrasion and breaking.
- Installation and maintenance – The truck bed mat should be easy to install. Drilling is not necessary for some mats since you can use bolts, fasteners, or adhesives to install them. It should also be easy to maintain by just cleaning it with water and soap or with a vacuum.
- Weather – This is a critical consideration. If you live where the weather is very hot, try to avoid a rubber or plastic mat because it may melt and start to smell. Rubber mats are great in cold or mild weather conditions. Choose a rug-like mat in hot areas.
How to install truck bed mats
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Can a truck bed get rust due to the use of a mat?
Answer: Yes. Lack of ventilation can make the truck bed rust over time due to the prolonged use of the mat.
- Are truck bed mats ideal for a truck?
Answer: They are an affordable alternative to bed liners. Though they don’t provide great protection when compared to bed liners they are a perfect choice if you are on a low budget.
- What is the cost of a truck bed mat?
Answer: Depending on the material, it can cost between $50 and $250.
Conclusion: Protect your truck flooring with truck bed mats
Bed mats are in the business of providing instant protection to your truck bed for a long time. Before the introduction of bed liners, bed mats were mostly used to protect the bed flooring and are still considered by many users for their low price and durable material.
Bed mats are helpful in providing protection to truck beds exceptional to flooring if you are looking for an interim solution against bed damages without spending too much money.