As a farmer or job site professional, you cannot underestimate the immense value of owning a pickup truck. It helps you to haul your cargo with ease. Transporting your cargo may mean you have to make up to four trips sometimes before you get the job done. You can reduce the back and forth stress by mounting a rack on the truck bed of your truck.
Having a truck rack helps to minimize the number of times you move your cargo. With the best truck rack, you may have to move the cargo just twice instead of doing it four times. Installing a rack increases the capacity of your truck.
The Benefits Of Having Truck Rack
- Load enhancement: Installing racks or ladder racks will allow you to increase the cargo load on your truck bed. You are able to haul your truck with long ladders, pipes, and other heavy pieces of equipment by having the racks.
- Ensure others safety: Racks are capable of controlling the movement of heavy load which may otherwise pose the risk of falling on the road putting other vehicles in danger.
- Truck bed protection: Without the truck racks you have to manage the heavy equipment such as ladders, pipes, or other metal pieces on your truck bed that may leave scratches on the body paint. Racks help in keeping your truck bed maintenance in check.
- Maximize your business: Racks also allow you to increase your loading capacity for long and heavy objects on your truck. Most of the truck racks are built to align with bed liners and other accessories in your truck helping to maximize your pickup business options.
- Save effort: In the absence of truck racks, you have to put in extra effort and make use of ropes, straps, or other tying material to keep your cargo intact. With racks, you don’t have to worry about the movement or shuffling of cargo thereby saving your lots of time and effort.
Best Truck Racks in 2020
It can be a tough job to choose the right truck rack. This is why we have carefully chosen the best truck rack based on quality, sturdiness, and durability.
Read on as we review the 5 best truck racks for an enduring and lasting choice.
BEST (AutoSupplements Choice)
#1 Smittybilt Black Contractor Rack
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
Increase your truck’s cargo capacity with the Smittybilt Rack. This is a well-built lumbar rack that holds up well. It has a maximum load capacity of 800 pounds. The rack is made from heavy gauge thick wall tubing for durability and sturdiness. To meet your changing needs this product is fully adjustable.
The no-drill bracket makes the installation easily removable at any time to give you unhindered access to the truck bed. The package includes installation hardware for quick and easy installation. It comes with Air Deflator to reduce noise.
Durable and sturdily-built
Withstands extreme conditions
800 pounds maximum load capacity
Disturbing wind noise
BETTER (AutoSupplements Recommend)
#2 Yakima Adjustable Heavy-Duty Truck Bed Rack
Product Rating: 4.5 / 5
Are you looking for a heavy-duty truck bed rack? If the answer is yes, then, we highly recommend the Yakima Adjustable Overhaul truck bed. Made from aluminum construction, this truck rack is sturdy and strong enough to carry a maximum capacity cargo of 500 pounds.
To adequately secure any loads, the tie-down points help to guarantee firm installation. With the T-slot attachments, additional accessories and gears can be added with ease. You can easily adjust the crossbar height as per your needs.
Made with powder-coated finish
500 pounds maximum capacity
Quick and easy installation
Comes with bottle opener
#3 Dee Zee Invis-A-Rack
Product Rating: 4.1 / 5
If you are looking for a truck rack to effectively manage your cargo, the Invis-A-Rack is your ideal choice. The ladder rack can be folded down into a rail casing when not in use. Constructed from aluminum extrusions, this rack is extremely lightweight and durable.
It is resistant to rust and other weather elements. It has a perfect fit for 5.5 inches bed. When erected, the rack provides a sturdy frame. Invis-A-Rack can easily manage a load capacity of 500 pounds, to meet your daily hauling of cargo.
Sturdy and lightweight construction
500 pounds carrying capacity
Made for full-size trucks
Provide exceptional fuel efficiency
The user guide is a bit difficult to understand
#4 Buyers Products 1501150 Black Steel Truck Ladder Rack
Product Rating: 4.2 / 5
You can’t beat the loading capacity of the Black Steel Truck Ladder Rack from Buyers Products. With 1,000 pounds cargo capacity, all you can say is “bring it on”. This rack is fitting for full-sized trucks that have 5.5 to 8ft truck beds. The cab-over design makes this truck rack extremely versatile.
Long cargo such as planks and ladders are perfectly secure with this rack thereby freeing up a lot of space in your truck bed. Installation is drill-free. It comes with built-in tie-down points to adequately secure cargo from falling off. There are also J-hooks to securely mount the rack under the rails of the truck bed.
1,000 pounds cargo capacity
Installation requires no drilling
Made from sturdy steel construction
Finished in black powder-coat for extended life
Not compatible with truck tonneau covers
#5 Yakima Outdoorsman 300 Truck Rack System
Product Rating: 3.4 / 5
The Yakima Outdoorsman 300 is a compact and versatile truck rack that is extremely sturdy having been made from heavy-duty construction. The top-of-vehicle rack gives you unfettered access to your truck bed. With a no-drill installation system, installation becomes a breeze. It has a load capacity of 300 pounds.
This truck rack fits full-sized trucks like a hand in glove. Weighing just 24 pounds, the truck rack is not only lightweight but also durable. There is no doubt this is the ideal hauling system for the daily movements of cargo.
Durable and lightweight
Versatile and compact
No-drill, easy installation
Provides easy and convenient access to your truck bed
Crossbars are sold separately
Whether you are an adventurous person or a professional, there is a truck rack made for you. Installing the best truck rack guarantees the easy transportation of cargo onboard your truck. It makes the conveying of cargo secure and safe. With plenty of inferior racks in the market, it is easy to choose a bad rack.
If you want to buy a rack, these are what you must look out for.
Features to look for while buying Truck Racks
- Cargo – Racks can be used for the transportation of different work-related gear. It can also be used to carry kayaks and surfboards. The type of sports equipment you want to transport will determine the kind of rack that you buy. If you covey ladders often, you must look for a crossbar rack. For the transportation of ladders, choose a functional and narrow rack. If you are transporting kayaks or fishing poles, invest in a wide rack.
- Weight capacity – There are different racks with different weight capacities. It is not all racks that have support for heavy cargo. When buying a rack, look out for the weight capacity. Look at the manual to locate the weight capacity. Some have a weight capacity of 150, 300, and others 500, 800, and 1,000. The weight capacity is measured in pounds or lbs.
- Construction material – Truck racks are either made with aluminum or steel. Aluminum is resistant to rust and not heavy compared to steel. Racks made of aluminum are a bit expensive but they provide extra stability when conveying cargo. They are not easily affected by snow or rain compared to the steel that is liable to suffer from corrosion. If you live in an area where rain and snow are frequent, it makes sense to invest in an aluminum rack. As a professional that transport equipment most times, choose a powder-coated rack made of steel.
- Compatibility – Before purchasing a truck rack, you should check for the compatibility with your truck or van. There are universal racks that fit most models of trucks. Universal racks are an incredible investment. They can be removed with ease and mounted on another truck. Some racks are made for specific models of vehicles such as the Nissan Titan and Ford Titanic. Specialty racks are made with different features and specifications to suit different models. These kinds of racks are usually expensive.
- Accessories – Some of these truck racks come with different accessories while others are sold separately. For example, the headache rack is an accessory that is made for rear window protection. Locks and anti-theft cables are usually sold separately for the safety of expensive cargo when the truck is parked. Anchor, bed nets and tie-downs ensure that bulky items are secure while riding through bumpy roads.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- How much does a truck rack cost?
Answer: Depending on the material, a truck rack can cost between $250 and $800.
- Are all racks corrosion-resistant?
Answer: All racks are not corrosion-resistant. Aluminum racks are corrosion-resistant but steel racks succumb to corrosion after some time. If you must choose a steel rack, choose one that is powder-coated to prevent corrosion.
- What is the ideal weight capacity for a rack?
Answer: It all depends on the cargo that you want to convey but it makes sense to go for a rack from 500 pounds and above.
Conclusion: Enhance your loading capacity with truck racks
Racks are meant to provide you extra comfort of hauling your truck with heavy loading. The racks are strong, sturdy, and durable to carry and protect the long and heavy objects giving an additional boost to your pickup business.
The racks are a must-have item for every professional pickup truck owner who wants to secure their truck beds, increase loading capacity, and maximize their truck business.
I hope the above information is helpful in making you decide to buy the best truck racks. If you have any questions or feedback please leave them below and I will be more than happy to help you out.