It takes up to two years for newborns or babies to sit properly. If you have a car, you must invest in baby gear so you can place your baby safely in the car. To sit your baby comfortably, you need an infant car seat.
What is an infant car seat?
An infant car seat is specifically made for babies who are weighing between 25 and 40 pounds. These seats usually face the rear of the car.
Why is an infant car seat important?
Pediatrics recommends an infant car seat for newborns because they stay in a rear-facing position at their early stages until they reach a certain height and weight. Infant car seats are made to be attached to a base so they can stay in place.
The Benefits Of Having Infant Car Seats
- Child Safety: Safety is the primary reason to install an infant car seat in your vehicle. As per the data, the injury or fatality rate declined by 43% if your child is traveling on these specific car seats.
- Control: A child seat is specifically designed for self-restraint. In an unfortunate event of an accident, the dynamic curves and folds with protective straps avoid the fall and keep the child’s movement intact with the seat.
- Comfort: The child seats are manufactured keeping in the mind the fragility of a child. The foam padding, fabric covers, harness, and buckles provide additional comfort to your child’s physical structure.
- Stress-free Driving: You don’t have to worry or think too much about your child’s movement/safety while driving. If you are frequently traveling with family and small children, a child seat makes your driving stress-free.
- Rules & Regulations: A child seat is a regulatory requirement in many countries including the US, UK, and Europe who have made it mandatory for small kids/infants up to specific age. Having a child seat inside your vehicle will save you hefty fines and penalties.
Infant Car Seat Reviews 2020
If you are looking for an infant car seat for your baby, then, you are in the right place. We have done our research and chosen the 5 best infant car seats. So, let’s check them out.
#1 Graco SnugRide SnugLock 35 Elite Infant Car Seat
Product Rating: 4.8 / 5
One thing that stands out for the Graco infant car seat is its hassle-free installation. The seat can easily be attached to all the Graco Click Connect strollers. It comes with 4 recline positions for easy customization for your vehicle. With the easy-to-read level indicator, there is no guesswork. Installation is just in three steps.
The Graco infant car seat is great for rear-facing babies between 4 and 35 pounds and up to 32 inches in height. The head can easily be removed and the cushions support the baby adequately. SnugRide SnugLock 35 is complete peace of mind for nursing mothers.
Ease of installation
Lightweight and easy to use
Comes with awesome latch straps
Safe and comfortable
Great carry handle
A bit pricey
#2 UPPAbaby MESA Infant Car Seat
Product Rating: 4.9 / 5
One of the best decisions you can make for the safety of your baby is to choose an ideal car seat. In this regard, the UPPAbaby MESA is highly recommended. The car seat is very sophisticated. It is built with many safety and comfort features to make your infant comfortable all day long. Some of the safety features include a latch and a tightness indicator.
This car seat is an excellent stroller for babies who are less than 33 inches in height. You will fall in love with the travel system. The best of it all is that it is extremely easy to install. UPPAbaby CRUZ Stroller or UPPAbaby VISTA Stroller pairs well with this infant car seat.
Comes with seat belt and latch
Features tightness indicator
Adjustable and well-reinforced headrest
There is no damage to vehicle seats
#3 Maxi-Cosi Mico Max 30 Infant Car Seat
Product Rating: 4.7 / 5
If you are looking for an infant car seat that provides maximum security for your baby, the Maxi-Cosi Mico 30 is your best bet. To make every ride a safer one, the car seat is equipped with an anti-rebound bar and Air Protect Side Impact Protection.
The extended canopy helps to protect your baby against the harmful effect of the UV-rays. It has a contoured handle that is ergonomically-designed for a comfortable carry. The easiness of its installation is incomparable. This car seat goes well with compatible strollers.
Compatible with most strollers
Increased safety with anti-rebound technology
Extended canopy to prevent UV-rays
The base has no recline angle indicator
#4 Evenflo LiteMax 35 Infant Car Seat
Product Rating: 4.7 / 5
If you are tight on budget and need a quality infant car seat, the Evenflo LiteMax 35 is what you should go for. Apart from being very affordable, this infant car seat comes with an ergonomic handle made for maximum comfort. The car beat can be securely installed with the integrated belt lock-off system.
There are four recline options to increase the baby’s comfort and safety. With the well-extended canopy, the child is well protected from UV-rays. The pads are machine-washable. You can use the pendulum level indicator to know if the seat is properly leveled in the car. This helps to give you a precise installation.
Exceptionally comfortable handle
Quick and secure installation
Not well padded
#5 Britax Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat
Product Rating: 4.8 / 5
The Britax Marathon ClickTight is a convertible car seat. This means the configurations can be changed to suit the baby as the baby grows. It is a high-quality car seat that exceeds expectations when it comes to safety and usability. It is fully padded to provide your child with maximum comfort. For increased safety, this car seat comes with 14 different harness settings with 7 recline positions that give your child the perfect fit as the child grows.
The headrest and harness can be adjusted in 14 positions for unparalleled baby comfort. There is the side impact protection feature that surrounds the baby’s head, neck, and torso in case there is an accident.
Travel-friendly car seat
Impact protection safety feature
Comes with a shock-absorbing base
Easy hand wash cleaning
14-position headrest adjustment
The price is on the high side
An infant car seat is one of the most important items you must-have for the child’s comfort and safety. You already know the reasons why you need one. But to choose the best infant car seat can be a problem.
This is why our buying guide comes in handy. Below are the considerations you must have at the back of your mind before purchasing an infant car seat.
Features to look for while buying infant car seats
- Vehicles compatibility– It is not all vehicles that are compatible with infant car seat installation. Some cars don’t have a latch system. The latch makes the installation of car seats easier in the absence of vehicle belts. So, check your vehicle seats before choosing a car seat.
- Dimensions– It is important to measure the dimension of your car’s interior before you purchase an infant car seat. This is to ensure the seat fits the car interior.
- Lifestyle– You must consider your lifestyle before using an infant car seat. If you are a frequent traveler, you may have to switch the car seat from one car to another. In this case, you can choose a lightweight car seat that is quick and easy to install.
- Baby’s size – Keeping a tab on the child’s age is easy but the weight and height can change pretty fast. Keeping an eye on these details will help you know when you have to upgrade your child’s car seat.
Types Of Infant Car Seats
There are different types of car seats in the market. The type of car seat you buy will depend on the child’s weight, age, and type of vehicle. There are mainly four types of car seats. They are infant rear-facing car seats, convertible car seats, booster seats, and all-in-one car seats.
- Infant rear-facing car seats – Rear-facing infant car seats are a must for newborns. It is available in the 4 – 40 pounds weight range. This type of car seat is convenient for babies since it comes with a separate base and the base can easily be detached to be used as a baby carrier.
- Convertible car seats – This type of car seat can be used in the rear-facing mode in the beginning and can be converted to forward-facing as the baby grows. The weight limit when being used as rear-facing is up to 50 pounds while the limit is 65 pounds for forward-facing mode
- Booster seats – The child is ready to use a booster seat when he or she has outgrown the size limits of the forward-facing harness seat. With the booster seat, the belt fits the baby as it does with adults.
- All-in-one car seats – The all-in-one seats can be used in rear-facing, forward-facing, and booster seat modes. In rear-facing mode, it can hold a weight range of 4 – 50 pounds; it has a weight range of 20 – 65 pounds in forward-facing mode while in booster seats, it ranges between 30 – 120 pounds.
How to install an infant car seat
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Answer: A baby car seat can cost between $100 and $500.
Answer: No, it does not.
Answer: No, don’t ever do it that. It is dangerous.
Answer: No, it is not a good idea. Always use the back seat.
Answer: Don’t ever buy a used car seat because it may have some faults that are not detected.
Conclusion: Buy your child's safety with infant car seats
Purchasing a baby car seat is a good investment for the family for the comfort and safety of the child. To have a long-lasting car seat, it is recommended the cleaning should be done by hand wash only. A great tip after installing the car seat is to test it properly to ensure it is not shifting from side to side.
With our buyer’s guide, there is no doubt any of the products chosen will be a great buy.
A baby car seat provides great comfort, protection, and coziness to your child and complete peace-of-mind to you.